Glossary of key terms used with scholarships

General term for an amount of money given out to a student.

General term for an amount of money given out to a student.

Domestic student
A citizen of New Zealand, Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau, or Australia, or a holder of a New Zealand residence class visa, or an Australian Permanent Resident.

External agencies
Companies and institutions that are external to, and independent from, the University. They include commercial, industrial, and research companies (such as CRIs), but exclude granting agencies (such as Marsden, MBIE, etc.) and research consortia (such as COREs) except where there is a specific collaboration agreement with the University referring to co- funding of scholarships.

First year fees
Tuition fees and compulsory fees (includes the student services levy).

First year tuition fees
The tuition fees for the year, which is calculated from the fee for each course a student is enrolled in.

First year undergraduate student
A student starting the first year of their undergraduate degree, and who has not enrolled at another tertiary institution since finishing secondary school.

Gap Year
A period, between the end of a former student’s last school year and the beginning of an academic year of the university, spent by the former student in non-academic activities. Considered to be of no more than 12 months’ duration.

International student
A student who is not a New Zealand Citizen or a holder of a Residence Class Visa or Permanent Resident of Australia, Cook Islands, Tokelau and Niue.

Pasifika student
A student with indigenous descent from any of the following islands: Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau, Fiji, Rotuma, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Palau, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Wallis and Futuna, Hawaii, French Polynesia, Rapanui (Easter Island).

The rules governing an award, scholarship, or bursary.

Research doctoral degrees
Degrees awarded in recognition of a substantial body of original academic research that is (at least in principle) publishable in a peer-refereed academic journal and that is typically submitted for examination as a single thesis or dissertation (e.g., PhD, DPhil, DA, EdD, DSocSci, DMA). Research doctoral degrees at UC are PhD, DMA, and EdD.

Research-related expenses
Expenses directly related to the conduct (and possibly the promulgation) of research, including  equipment or consumables that are needed for (or would enhance) the research, costs of travel and accommodation for field work or to use specialised equipment or facilities, and costs associated with attendance at conferences and workshops.

Satisfactory academic performance for continuation of multi-year undergraduate awards
The maintenance of a GPA of at least 5 (B grade average) in each individual year of study. Note: This is not an overall/total/cumulative GPA for the entire term of the scholarship.

General term for an amount of money given out to a student.