Frequently asked questions - Financial Services- University of Canterbury - New Zealand

Welcome to Financial Services

Financial Services is dedicated to providing a courteous and efficient service to our stakeholders including staff, students, our suppliers and other members of our community.

Frequently asked questions

How do I pay money to the university?

The Accounts Receivable staff issue invoices and receive all income for the University.

Pay your invoices by cheque, credit card (Mastercard and Visa are accepted) or in person at the Cashiers desk (located on Level 1, Student Services Centre).

You can also pay by direct credit or wire transfer to the University bank account. You must include appropriate detail to appear on our bank statement so we know you have paid. Bank details are available by emailing

How do I send money from overseas?

Send an email to requesting electronic payment information

How do I charge the University?

The University of Canterbury prefers to use a purchase order to buy goods or services. You need to quote the purchase order number on your invoice to ensure payment.

Some staff are issued with credit cards and can purchase goods and services on behalf of the University.

What are the University Terms and Conditions for Purchase Orders?

The University of Canterbury has general terms and conditions which apply to all Purchase Orders raised by the University, unless the supplier is governed by a specific supplier contract. The general terms and conditions can be found here.(PDF, 205KB)

In what form will I receive money from the University?

We prefer to pay suppliers, employees and students by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). We prefer to send remittances by email or fax so the remittance arrives at the same time as the payment. If these options are not available a remittance advice may be posted.