Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include woody biomass energy and bioliquid fuels, wood based composites, wood processing with strengths on drying of wood and wood based materials, wood quality and wood properties related to drying. In addition, he is interested in drying of particular materials, evaporation, and heat and mass transfer processes. Specific research interests are:-Thermal gasification of woody biomass for energy and liquid fuels.-Pyrolysis of waste plastics and woody biomass for liquid fuels.-Product development and processing technologies for wood – plastic composites.-Kiln drying of softwood timber: drying modelling, model validation and practical application.-Modelling of drying stress and board deformation for kiln drying of softwood timber.-Drying related wood properties, thermal dynamics and wood-water relationships.-Quality drying of timber: studies on wood discolouration, checking, residual drying stress, warp and instability.-Fibre processing (particularly on drying) and mat hot pressing for MDF production.-Modelling of veneer drying for production of plywood and laminated veneer lumber (LVL). -LVL hot pressing with microwave preheating. -New technologies and environmental issues in drying of wood and wood based materials. -Alternative drying medium for high quality drying. -Kiln emission quantification and reduction in wood and wood product processing.
- Wang Y. and Pang S. (2018) Investigation of hydrogen sulphide removal from simulated producer gas ofbiomass gasification by titanomagnetite. Biomass and Bioenergy 109: 61-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2017.12.021.
- Pang S., Wigley T. and Yip ACK. (2017) A detailed product analysis of bio-oil from fast pyrolysis of demineralised and torreﬁed biomass. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 123: 194-203. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2016.12.006.
- Salleh MM., Magniez K., Pang S., Dormanns JW. and Staiger MP. (2017) Parametric optimization of the processing of all-cellulose composite laminae. Advanced Manufacturing: Polymer and Composites Science 3(2): 73-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/20550340.2017.1324351.
- Wigley T., Yip ACK. and Pang S. (2017) A detailed product analysis of bio-oil from fast pyrolysis ofdemineralised and torrefied biomass. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 123: 194-203. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2016.12.006.
- Zhang Z. and Pang S. (2017) Experimental investigation of biomass devolatilization in steam gasification in a dual fluidised bed gasifier. Fuel 188: 628-635. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.10.074.