Research interests include the history and philosophy of mathematics; the preparation, translation, and commentary of ancient mathematical texts in Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, Arabic and Akkadian; and ancient mathematical astronomy and modelling.
- Montelle CJ. (2017) Book Review of The Siddhāntasundara of Jñānarāja: An English Translation with Commentary, Toke Lindegaard Knudsen. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore (2014), 351 pp.. Historia Mathematica Academic Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hm.2017.03.006.
- Montelle CJ., Misra A. and Plofker K. (2017) Elipse Computation Tables in Sanskrit Astronomy: A Critical Edition of the Tables of the Karaṇakesarī of Bhāskara (fl. c. 1681). History of Science in South Asia 4: 1-74. http://hssa-journal.org/.
- Plofker K., Keller A., Hayashi T., Montelle C. and Wujastyk D. (2017) The Bakhshālī Manuscript: A Response to the Bodleian Library's Radiocarbon Dating. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 5(1): 134-150.
- Montelle CJ. (2016) The Two Cultures: What I have learned from blending the sciences and the humanities and a lot more in between. Wellington, New Zealand: Independent Schools of New Zealand.
- Montelle CJ. (2016) The Anaphoricus of Hypsicles of Alexandra. In Steele J (Ed.), The Circulation of Astronomical Knowledge in the Ancient World: 287-315. Leiden: Koninklijke Brill.