Qualifications & Memberships
Current research interests include high temperature superconductivity in electric power machines; smart grids and renewable energy; LED lighting; computer modelling and simulation of transformers; high voltage.
- Asef P., Perpina RB., Barzegaran MR., Lapthorn A. and Mewes D. (2018) Load identification of different Halbach-array topologies on permanent magnet synchronous generators using the coupled field-circuit FE methodology. Electric Power Systems Research 154: 484-492. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2017.08.041.
- Asef P., Bargallo R. and Lapthorn AC. (2017) Iron Loss Prediction Using Modified IEM-Formula during the Field Weakening for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines. Machines 5(4) 30 http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/machines5040030.
- Asef P., Perpina RB., Barzegaran MR., Lapthorn AC. and Mewes D. (2017) Multi-objective Design Optimization Using Dual-Level Response Surface Methodology and Booth's Algorithm for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generators. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion : 8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2017.2777397.
- Jin Z., lapthorn A. and Staines M. (2017) The Dielectric Strength of Nomex 410 Paper in Liquid Nitrogen under Boiling Situations. IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 27(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2017.2732282.
- Lapthorn AC., Raniga J. and Urban R. (2017) Audible Noise Management of Newly Reconductored Transmission Lines. Wellington: EEA Conference & Exhibition 2017, 21-23 Jun 2017. In http://papers.conference.eea.co.nz/
Dr Andrew Lapthorn from UC’s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at work in the High Voltage Lab, the only facility of its kind in a New Zealand university. It does commercial testing for the electrical industry.