Qualifications & Memberships
I have a strong research interest in mathematical modelling of power electronic circuits that are connected to AC power supply networks. The aim of this modelling is two-fold; for the development of improved control strategies, and for assessing harmonic current and voltage levels, taking into full account the characteristics of the ac supply network and other electronic devices or loads that are connected to it. This modelling approach began with HVdc converters, and has been extended to a number of FACTs devices, and modelling of loads for active harmonic filter design. It is naturally applicable to renewable energy and distributed generation technologies, where the power source is likely to be connected to the AC system via power electronics. This type of plant has high controllability, but zero inertia, posing unique control problems.
- Chen YY., Wood AR., Bumby C. and Badcock RA. (2018) Rapid synchronisation of fast instantaneous reserves CAES generator. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems 94: 203-212. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2017.07.009.
- Cwikowski O., Wood AR., MIller AJV., Barnes M. and Shuttleworth R. (2017) Operating DC Circuit Breakers with MMC. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery PP(99) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2017.2658540.
- Kwon J., Wang X., Blaabjerg F., Bak C., Wood AR. and Watson N. (2017) Linearized Modeling Methods of AC-DC Converters For an Accurate Frequency Response. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics PP(99) 2688454 http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2017.2688454 or http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7888466/.
- Morris K., Kim DONGSEONG., Wood ALAN. and Woodward GK. (2017) Availability and Resiliency Analysis of Modern Distribution Grids Using Stochastic Reward Nets. Auckland: Innovative Smart Grid Technologis, 4-7 Dec 2017.
- Roy R., Martin PA. and Wood AJ. (2017) A Codebook Design for Ensuring Reliable Communication in Smart Grid Neighbourhood Area Networks. Sydney, Australia: IEEE VTC 2017 spring, 4-7 Jun 2017.