Our Student Advisors can help with planning your undergraduate degree. For postgraduate contacts and advice please see our Graduate and postgraduate options section.
We can offer advice on:
- Degree planning, including double degrees and double majors
- Explaining your course options
- Understanding the University calendar and regulations
- Explaining eligibility to graduate
- Transferring credit
- Transferring between degrees
- Approval of entry to courses and degrees
- Exemptions, such as waivers of prerequisites or core requirements
- Withdrawal from courses
For official rules and processes for all the above see UC regulations in Useful links on this page.
- Write your name, ID number (not your usercode) and contact number. We need a contact number in case we have to cancel your appointment due to illness or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Appointments are for 15 minutes only. If you have a complicated enquiry book two timeslots, one after the other. A complicated enquiry includes the checking of CA ANZ/CPA Australia/ACCA requirements and/or double degree plans.
- We do not take appointments outside the hours of 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.
- We do not take appointments on weekends or public holidays or days the University is closed.
- You should book appointments in the current week only.
Appointments are ideal for:
- Checking if you meet degree requirements (points check, compulsory courses for your major or your endorsement, CA ANZ/CPA Australia/ACCA requirements, double degree cross-credits).
- Checking your degree planning or assist you with your degree planning.
- Finding out about exceptions that may be available for your degree (concurrent enrolment, prerequisite exemption, NCEA waivers for ACCT 103 etc, points shortfall of 6 points or less).
- Seeking advice about academic progress concerns.
Go to our booking form to book an appointment.
Email is ideal for:
- Enrolment issues, including prerequisite failures in myUC when you have met prerequisites from previous study or credit transfers.
- To check if you will meet degree requirements (points check, compulsory courses for your major or your endorsement). If it is too complicated to do by email we will ask you to book an appointment.
- Course selection options due to postponed or cancelled courses.
- Completed applications for exemptions (where we do not need to see original transcripts).
- Other quick queries regarding your degree.
Dropping your forms in
Between Monday and Friday from 9am to 4pm you can drop off your applications for processing to our reception area, including:
- Completed transfer or credit applications where you are paying by cheque or credit card.
- Completed Exemption from prerequisite/concurrent enrolment applications.
- Transcripts – the reception team can photocopy and verify these if we require them (and for transfer or credits).
Bachelor of Commerce majors
There are 12 majors in the BCom. See our degree plans for how to structure your courses to meet the requirements for each major or view more information on each major via the links below:
Bachelor of Commerce minors
BCom students have the option of completing a minor in a subject from the BCom degree schedule or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree schedule. This allows you to complement your major subject with study in a different discipline (called a minor). A BCom minor can increase breadth of knowledge at an undergraduate level, along with employability.
Check our table to make sure you're taking the right courses at the right stage.
- Any course at 300-level may contribute to only one major or minor.
- Any course at 200-level credited to a minor cannot also be credited to a major or another minor.
- Where the same course is required for more than one major or minor, a substitute course (approved by the Dean of Commerce) will be required.
|Subject||Required courses for minor|
Minor Guide Accounting
Minor Guide Business and Sustainability
Minor Guide Economics
Minor Guide Entrepreneurship
Minor Guide Finance
Minor Guide Human Resource Management
Minor Guide Information Systems
Minor Guide International Business
Minor Guide Marketing
Minor Guide Operations and Supply Chain
Minor Guide Taxation