My current research focuses on the intersection of art history and material culture, with a particular emphasis on aspects of contemporary art practice. This research has three developing but related threads: art & material culture in post-quake Christchurch; history and theory of the artist's book; and contemporary photography.
- Garrie BAC. (2018) What is contemporary art (history)? Centre of Contemporary Art, Christchurch: CoCA Associates seminar series, 26 Jan 2018.
- Garrie B. (2017) Walking the Post-quake City: (re)making place in Ōtautahi Christchurch. In Grierson E (Ed.), Transformations: Art and the City: 233-247. Bristol: Intellect Press.
- Garrie BAC. (2017) Barbara Garrie in conversation with Caroline Boreham. InSitu Photo Project, Christchurch: Disco Volante, 21 Oct 2017.
- Garrie BAC. (2017) Narrativising the Weather: Roni Horn and Jeremy Deller. Perth, AU: Art Association of Australia and New Zealand Annual Conference, 6-8 Dec 2017
- Garrie BAC. (2017) A History of Fragments: Julia Holderness's 'The Group: homewares'. In Paton K (Ed.), ObjectSpace Anthology Auckland: ObjectSpace.