Resizing images using the UC Image Cropper Tool
When adding an image to your content type, you can either click the Upload button if your image ISN’T already in the Media Library OR click the Select media button if your image IS already in the Media Library.
Before you add your image to the Media Library you will need to make sure you are using the correct image quality, size, and aspect ratio and file type.
The best tool to resize images for our website is the UC Image Cropper Tool in T4. Use this tool to resize your images, upload them to the Media Library and add them to your content type at the same time.
When adding an image, the UC Image Cropper Tool is available from clicking on the Upload button.
- Click the Upload button (You can find the Upload button inside content types where you can add an image, for example Image or Content blocks content types)
- The UC Image Cropper window will appear
- Click the Import Image button, browse to and select the image you want to use from your computer. The image will load and display in the Cropper window
- Select the appropriate Aspect Ratio (By default, 3:2 is selected, mouse over the different aspect ratios to help you decide which to choose)
- Move and resize the Crop Area as needed. The Preview window on the right shows the cropped area only. The Width and Height text box shows the dimension of the cropped area. Please make sure that the Width is NOT less than 1050px
- Add a Name. It should provide information about the image, be relevant, short, catchy and concise. This is important as the name is also used for alt text to provide information about images to users with visual impairments, people using screen readers and those who have low-bandwidth connections.
- Add a Description. The description element is used to store copyright and licensing information for media files
- Images sourced externally: for example from stock image libraries, you should check the copyright notice instructions on their website to make sure you are using the correct format, for example, © Depositphotos.com/Name or Nickname of the contributor
- Internal images created by UC: On images created by staff or images created by photographers or agencies that the University has paid for use © Restricted/University of Canterbury
- Add Keywords. Add synonyms, for example, both sofa and couch, or boy, male child, child, childhood and kid. Make sure that you are precisely describing the picture. Adding keywords to images makes it easy to find a particular image in the future and increases search engine optimisation
- Select the image Location. This is where your image will be saved in the Media Library
- Click the Upload to Media Library button
- A thumbnail of your image will be displayed beside the Upload button
- Preview to make sure you are happy with the result
- Click Save changes or Save and Approve to publish
- If you plan to upload several images, it is helpful to open the media library in a separate tab
- That way, you can easily jump back and forth between content and media library