Upload New Document (DOC, PDF, XLS, or PPT) to the Media Library
When uploading a new document to the Media Library (PDF, Word document, Powerpoint or anything that isn’t an image), the file type and file size needs to be added in brackets after the file name. For example, when uploading a PDF named “Authorising agreement for Proxy Borrower” to the Media Library, the namein theMedia Library for the PDF would be “Authorising agreement for Proxy Borrower (PDF 433KB)”.
NOTE: Save any Word documents as a PDF before uploading them so users can’t change the document.
- Before you upload the document into the media library, rename it according to the naming convention SectionName_document_description.pdf. Section name refers to sections sitting at the first level under canterbury.ac.nz in T4 eg, Future Students, International, Postgraduate. This step is important because you cannot rename the PDF once it is in the media library, and Google indexes the original filename rather than the Name in T4. The filename gives search engines clues about the subject matter of the document. Use hyphens instead of spaces or underscores (search engines see hyphens as spaces whereas underscores are invisible and join words together). Always maintain the file type at the end of the file name.
- From the Content drop down, select Upload New Document.
- In the Name field, enter a name for your document, add the file type and file size in brackets after the file name, for example, "Authorising agreement for Proxy Borrower (PDF 433KB)". It should provide information about the document, be relevant, short, catchy and concise.
- Add a Description.
- Add Keywords. Adding keywords makes it easy to find a particular documents in the future and increases search engine optimisation.
- Select a Category for your document, this is where your image will be saved.
- Select a Document to upload from your computer.
- Click Submit to save the document.