Add Media (image) in the Media Library
NOTE: Only Moderators can do this.
Before you add your image to the media library you will need to make sure you are using the correct image quality, size, aspect ratio and file type. The T4 Image Guide contains information about image types and sizes, and naming conventions in the media library.
- Before you upload the image to the media library, change the filename using the format Description_SectionName_UsageAbbreviation.fileExtension. This is important because you can't change the image name once it is saved, and Google indexes the original filename rather than the Name in Site Manager. The filename gives search engines clues about the subject matter of the image. Use hyphens instead of spaces or underscores (search engines see hyphens as spaces whereas underscores are invisible and join words together). Always maintain the file type at the end of the file name. The section name refers to sections sitting at the first level under Canterbury.ac.nz in T4 eg, Future Students, International, Postgraduate. See Format an image for usage abbreviations.
- In the Content dropdown select Media Library.
- Open the Images folder on the left and navigate to the appropriate section folder for your image. You will only have access to folders that are relevant to your department.
- The Add Media, Move Media and Delete Media buttons will appear on the Browse tab for the sections you’ve got access to
- Click on the Add Media button
- Add a Name. It should provide information about the image, be relevant, short, catchy and concise. This is important as the name is also used for alt text to provide information about images to users with visual impairments, people using screen readers and those who have low-bandwidth connections.
- Add a Description. The description element is used to store copyright and licensing information for media files.
- On images sourced externally: for example from stock image libraries, you should check the copyright notice instructions on their website to make sure you are using the correct format, for example © Depositphotos.com/Name or Nickname of the contributor
- Internal images created by UC: On images created by staff or images created by photographers or agencies that the University has paid for use © Restricted/University of Canterbury
- Add Keywords. Add synonyms, for example both sofa and couch, or boy, male child, child, childhood and kid. Make sure that you are precisely describing the picture. Adding keywords to images makes it easy to find a particular image in the future and increases search engine optimisation.
- Select a Category for your image, this is where your image will be saved.
- Select an Image to upload from your computer.
- Click Submit to save the image file.