How to add an Image content type
Use images when they give useful additional context or information. Don’t use them just to fill up space. Remember that bandwidth for mobile devices is generally more expensive, and images may take longer to download.
Images should relate directly to the page and its contents. For example, a picture of a computer keyboard on a page about online services is probably not useful. Whereas a picture of a new state-of-the-art learning space when it is opened is probably useful to users.
You can use any image that is already in the media library. If an image that you want to use is not already in the media library, use the Upload’ button to add it
- From the Actions dropdown menu beside the section you are editing, select Create Content
- Select the Image content type
- In the Name field, enter a name for the image. This will not be displayed on the published page
- If an image that you want to use IS already in the Media Library, click the Select media button to choose that image
- OR if an image that you want to use IS NOT already in the Media Library, click the Upload button to add it to the content type and to the Media Library
- The ‘UC Image Cropper’ window will appear
- Click the Import Image button, browse to and select the image you want to use from your computer. The image will load and display in the Cropper Window
- Select the appropriate Aspect Ratio (By default, 3:2 is selected, mouse over the different aspect ratios to help you decide which to choose)
- Move and resize the Crop Area as needed. The Preview window on the right shows the cropped area only. The Width and Height text box shows the dimension of the cropped area. Please make sure that the Width is NOT less than 1050px
- Add a Description. The description element is used to store copyright and licensing information for media files.
- Internal images created by UC: On images created by staff or images created by photographers or agencies that the University has paid for use © Restricted/University of Canterbury
- Select the image Location. This is where your image will be saved in the Media Library
- Click the Upload to Media Library button
- A thumbnail of your image will be displayed beside the Upload button
- Preview to make sure you are happy with the result
- Click Save changes to save or ‘Save and Approve’ to publish