Hōtaka Omaoma | Run Canterbury
Prepare yourself to take on a 10km or half marathon event in 2022! We have three running groups to join in our programme (bronze, silver, and gold). These groups represent your speed, distance, and experience with running.
It is recommended that you can continuously run at a light pace for 25–30minutes twice a week if you are considering registering for the programme.
Semester 1 (12 week training block)
Get ready to run the Christchurch or Hanmer marathon events. We have two different start dates depending on which race you’d want to enter, however each programme can be adjusted to when you decide to join.
- Christchurch race: 10 April 2022 (Sunday)
The event is based at the city’s iconic Town Hall, the flat, fast and spectator friendly course takes you on a scenic tour of quintessentially Christchurch landmarks such as Hagley Park and the Avon River.
- Hanmer race: 7 May 2022 (Saturday)
The race takes competitors on a unique journey through Hanmer Forest amongst amazing mountain scenery. After an initial 2km climb the route follows forest roads to a split at Jollies Pass Road. Here the half marathon takes participants through the main block of forest before linking up with the 10km route to run through the flat Heritage forest and a final sprint down the road to finish at Hanmer School.
Semester 2 (14 week training block)
Prepare for the Queenstown Marathon event at the end of the University calendar. Starting the programme midway through term 3 we will keep the training up until race weekend
- Queenstown Race: 19 November 2022 (Saturday)
The course is easy running on a mainly flat course, with some undulations to keep it interesting. It offers a unique mix of running terrain (smooth hard packed trails and road running). The race is set between the backdrop of the world renowned Crown and Remarkable mountain ranges where you will take in the highlights of the Queenstown Lakes region, and then finishing in the heart of Queenstown itself.
Your support package
- Group runs lead by pack leaders to keep you motivated (3 levels to choose from)
- Access to social media community to support you towards your goals - Run Canterbury Facebook page.
- Practical recovery sessions (Foam Rolling)
- Access to discounted Body Scans at the UC Rec Centre
- Training and support
- Free Running T-Shirt (new members only)
- Pack runs (x2) each week - Tuesday & Thursday
- UC Students, UC Staff, and UC Rec Centre Members - $95.00
- Community - $155.00
- Previous Run Canterbury participant (any year) - $80.00
- Paying off the programme via instalments is no problem and can be organised with the Sports Coordinator.
*Run Canterbury fees do NOT include entry into any event.
There are a few key dates that we recommend you put in your diary now
- Group runs will leave from K1 (22 Kirkwood Ave, University of Canterbury, Ilam, Christchurch)
- Semester 1 - Start date A: 18 January 2022
- Semester 1 - Start date B: 2 March 2022
- Semester 2 - Start date: 8 August 2022
For more information contact
- Email the Sport Coordinator