Australasian University Health Challenge (10,000 Steps Challenge)
What is the Australasian University Health Challenge?
The Australasian University Health Challenge is a health-focused initiative where staff and students make behavioural changes to increase their daily levels of physical activity. Being physically active is crucial for health and wellbeing.
A large portion of our adult lives are spent at work; which are progressively becoming more and more sedentary environments. Around half (49%) of New Zealand adults reach the recommended level physical activity per day on average, at least 30 minutes on 5 or more days per week.
18 Universities across Australia and New Zealand have teamed up to provide staff and students with an opportunity to increase their physical activity, through a fun and exciting inter-university competition.
Over a 6 week period from September 6 through to October 17, challenge yourself and your friends to increase your daily amount of steps through small yet significant behavioural changes. Represent your University and compete against other institutions across the country and sea.
Physical activity CAN be fun. Sign up with your friends and feel the benefits yourself.
The New Zealand universities are:
- The University of Canterbury
- The University of Waikato
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Massey University
- Lincoln University
The Australian universities are:
- Australian Catholic University
- Bond University
- Southern Cross University
- The University of Newcastle
- The University of Western Australia
- The University of the Sunshine Coast
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- The University of Tasmania
- UNSW Sydney (University of New South Wales)
- 2019: 4th place (just short of 3rd by 8 steps!)
- 2020: 8th place (3rd in total steps)
- 2021: to be decided
If you need more information on the 10,000 Steps Challenge please contact Gary Gin
Check out some of the resources available to you on campus
Need some assistance in setting your goals to accomplish this? Check out the services we have on campus