Women's Gym & Services
The Start Zone is home to a full-time Women's Only gym. We ask that our members respect this space at all times. Also, please be aware that the room will be monitored by UC Staff, of all genders, for health & safety purposes.
The UC RecCentre provides a number of services for women that may help to enhance your experience at UC. You may wish to gain confidence in the weights room amongst other beginners with the help of a trainer. Or you may prefer or require the privacy of a women's only space to exercise. In providing these services, the UC RecCentre is recognising UC's commitment to equity and diversity.
We appreciate your awareness of, and co-operation with this initiative, and thank you for your ongoing support.
How it works
The UC RecCentre is committed to providing a space where all our students feel they belong. Privacy during exercise is a cultural need for many women in our UC community and the RecCentre aims to provide culturally responsive services.
The request for Women's Hours came from the Student Wellness Advisory Group (SWAG), and after nearly 12months of research and monitoring, we are now able to permanently offer a women's space for our community, in the StartZone.
- A women's only space is available in the StartZone.
- We respectfully ask male members to use alternative areas in the facility while women are using the StartZone. You will find that all equipment available in the StartZone is also available elsewhere.
- Personal Training is available for all members. You can request to be booked with a female instructor.
- Private Group Fitness classes - arrange your own group and we can provide the space and the teacher. Available upon request. Charges apply. Contact our Group Fitness & Customer Experience Team Leader.
In the StartZone, you’ll find a range of bodyweight and functional training tools, in addition to a deadlift platform, half cable, squat cage, benches and light handweights. A super place to get started and get confident.
- Head to our Get Started page for a complete guide on how to use our services, equipment and facilities.
- Approach a Fitness Consultant during their morning or evening shift, they're keen to help.
- Book in for a Personal Training session with one of our skilled Fitness Consultants. They'll create a personalised fitness plan for you or take your through a challenging workout.
There are many other fitness clubs in New Zealand, including a national leading chain, a University and multiple independent and smaller chains/franchises, who operate this kind of service. The legal advice we have received is that a women's only service can operate, as long as men are not disadvantaged in any way. To ensure this, all equipment that is kept aside for women's use in the StartZone is also available in the rest of the centre. You will find all of this equipment duplicated (and more) in the FUN Zone and Fitness Centre.