COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - Alert Level 2
Last updated 27/02/2021 10.00pm
Kia ora koutou
Following the announcement from the NZ Government, we will be moving into and operating at Alert Level 2 from Sunday 28th February from 6am. Please follow signage and directions from staff. We will be monitoring any further announcements, and will update here and on our facebook page.
What this means for you:
- Group Fitness class bookings via the app are essential and capacities will be reduced to allow adequate spacing.
- If you don't have the Rec&Sport app, or are a casual user, please call or email our customer service team for assistance ph369 2433
- Some equipment will be removed/spaced to meet spacing or cleaning requirements
- Towels are always required. Show your towel at reception on arrival - no towel? Hire one for 50c or buy one for $6. Please use your towel during your workout.
- Please continue to wash or sanitise hands on arrival
- Clean your equipment before and after use - practice great gym etiquette
- On-demand is available in app (fees apply), or view our classes on YouTube and revisit our old faves
- Climbing wall will be closed
- Fitness areas remain open, with reduced capacities - please look for signage. We will be monitoring the spaces, so please follow any instructions by staff as and when requested.
Please read more detail in the drop-down menu below.
Casual Visitors & New Memberships
- Casual visitors and new members are welcome
- Quietest periods are 10am - 3pm each day
- Monday to Friday, 6am - 9pm
- Saturday and Sunday, 9am - 5pm
Fitness Consultation Services
- In person consultations are available
- Zoom consultations & BCS Scans are also available
- See your Rec & Sport app for daily workout ideas you can follow at home or to find a gym based programme to follow
- Check our 'Get Started' section for first timers
- All areas are open, but occupancy limits will apply to maintain distancing. Please observe signage and follow staff instructions
- BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL via the Rec&Sport app.
- Check out how to book here
- Class sizes return to normal levels at Level 1 - details in-app
- Please clean your equipment after use
- For comfort and safety, try to maintain 1m distance when exercising
- Previous live-streamed classes are saved and able to be viewed at any time on our Youtube channel,
- Download the Rec & Sport app for an easy link through to our Youtube channel
- On demand classes are available via the app (fees apply)
Small Group Training
- All courses are scheduled to run in Term 1 as normal. We will monitor the situation and update as needed.
More of a visual learner?
- Check out our YouTube 'how to book a class' video (5.17)
How to book (all classes)
- Open your Rec & Sport app, and select the class timetable tile.
- Select the day and timeslot you'd like.
- Select the 'book' button. You're in. You can choose to add it to your calendar so you don't' forget.
- Zone classes (Spin, Fit50) just the same, but pay for your class at reception to collect your token.
How to cancel (all classes)
- Open your app, head to the class, and select 'delete booking', up to 30mins prior to class start time
- It really helps others if you cancel as soon as you know you've changed your mind!
Are there penalties if I don't turn up without cancelling
- YES! We have limited spaces, so we need your help to make sure everyone has a fair chance of working out.
- If you fail to turn up, or you are late, you will receive one strike.
- If you reach 3 strikes, you can still come to the gym, but you will lose your spot for any classes you've booked and the privilege of booking via the app for a short time (2 weeks).
What's a waitlist?
- If the class is full, you can pop yourself on the waitlist.
- If someone cancels, you will get a notification (if you've turned these on) when a space becomes available.
- Fastest finger wins, so be quick when a spot becomes available! It's worth putting yourself on the waitlist as people may cancel their booked spot the day of the class.
What are the booking rules?
- There is no limit on the number of classes you can book a day, or how many you can make at one time.
- You can cancel up to 30mins before the class start time.
- Capacity is listed in the app for each class. These are based on equipment, space and comfort for users.
- Bookings open 5 days in advance of the class at 6am.
Want to be reminded when bookings become available for a class?
- On the class timetable, if you scroll forward to more than 5 days ahead, you'll notice a bell icon and the word "Follow". If you follow a class you'll be notified when bookings for that class open, so you can quickly book your spot.
Can I turn up for a class without booking?
- Yes, BUT you won't be guaranteed a spot.
- Our instructors can book you into the class, and then check you off, but if the class is full you may be turned away.
- We suggest checking your app and book your spot before coming down to the gym. That way, it won't be a wasted trip if the class is already full!
- Remember, we do have some no-shows, so even if the app says the class is full, it might be worth trying your luck.
- You can choose which notifications to receive, and how you'd like to receive them. You can do this in the settings menu of the app. In the settings, you'll also find the option to turn on/off calendar reminders.
- We recommend turning on push notifications for classes - you'll be reminded of your upcoming class, and when space becomes available for a waitlisted class.
Social Sport Leagues
- Will proceed with increased cleaning of equipment, no spectators. We will monitor and review as required.
- More information here
- Drop in sport sessions are still available. We will monitor and review as required.
- More information here
UTSNZ & Run Canterbury
- Run Canterbury still planned as normal. We will monitor and review as required.
- Please contact Gary Gin for more information
- Will continue with contact tracing and crowd size maximums.
- Please contact Emma Cantwell for more information
- Sport Academy will continue using the booking system at reduced capacity
- Please contact Stacey Niao for more information
Sport Science Testing
- Our full range of sport science testing is still available
- Please contact Stacey Niao for more information
- All casuals, visitors and members are required to scan or sign in, as per our normal conditions of entry
- This is to meet our usual health & safety requirements
- Government Contact Tracing QR codes are available, should you wish to record your own movements
- It is vital that you download the UC Rec&Sport app
- Please ensure you use the email you signed up for your membership account with
- Your new app account can take up to 24hours to connect to your RecCentre account
- You can only start to make bookings (or assign yourself a workout) once this connection is completed.
- If it hasn't happened, you'll get a message telling you 'your membership doesn't allow you to do this' , try again later.
- If you are still getting this message 24hours later, give us a call.
Why get the app?
- Bookings are essential for Group Fitness Classes See more info here
- Assign yourself a workout, or try out constantly changing workouts of the day and week
- Easy links to our YouTube page for recorded classes
- If your phone does not support the app, please contact email@example.com or phone 369 2433 and one of our Customer Experience team will assist you to make a booking over the phone
Contact us with your feedback
- Our services remain largely the same, but we ask you to oberve additional hygiene and cleanliness practices as directed and posted in the centre
- We encourage your feedback and suggestions, email our Rec & Sport Manager, or any staff member you come across