UC Rec & Sport welcomes both UC students and others from the wider community to apply for UC Rec & Sport Internship positions. Our internship programme supports the six main UC Sports clubs, our Athlete Academy, and with events & UTSNZ tournament teams.
Click the tabs to find out more information on the specialty areas for internships
Event and Team Managment
UC Rec & Sport are providing event and team management support to:
- UC representative sports teams traveling to the University Tertiary Sport New Zealand (UTSNZ) national Championships. Travel is dependent on tournament location
- UC Rec & Sport events on campus which hosts student engagement for up to 200 students
- Potential to join the student athlete commission & the Volunteer Leaders Academy with FISU (International University Sport Federation – World University Games organisers)
- 2020 our intern was going to be flown to Russia to join over 80 participants around the world
What can YOU learn?
- Be mentored by our Sports Coordinator throughout your placement
- How to create events from start to finish with specific processes
- How to identify and create a hazards and risks register for events
- How to interact with a diverse range of key stakeholders ranging from students to industry representatives
Previous Events hosted, lead, or attended by our Interns
- South Island Derby Challenge
- UTSNZ National Tournaments
- Inter-halls Sports & Wellness Festival
- Inter-halls Sports Court Sports
- Campus 'International Day of University Sports' celebration
- Volunteer Leaders Academy
"Being able to do my internship with Gary and UC Rec and Sport this year (2020) has been full of new and challenging experiences. Because of COVID-19, my role and duties were forever changing and I was exposed to many different opportunities but throughout it all, I was able to gain valuable experience in the sports leadership and management space. The opportunities that I have been able to be a part of, including organising an interhall sports event as well as a South Island Tertiary Basketball Tournament have enhanced my skills and ability to lead and manage on a larger scale than I have ever before. I truly believe that this internship opportunity is one that is extremely valuable and one that pushes you to become better. You will get out of this internship what you put into it and you have the support from the people around you to further develop the way you lead, manage and ultimately who you are in this space."
- Jacob Mulhollamd (2020 Intern)
Now: Te Kaitakawaeka Whakawhanake Taiohi - Youth Development Facilitator at YMCA South and Mid Canterbury
Performance & Technique Analysis
UC Rec & Sport is offering:
- Support to UC Men’s and Women’s Premier teams (Rugby, Hockey, Football, Netball, Basketball, and Cricket)
- A fantastic opportunity to learn our Performance Analysis Programme and immerse yourself with UC teams and quality coaches
- Game day filming, post-match analysis, weekly reviews, generating video highlights, generating statistical reports, track key performance indicators
- Learn to use some high end Performance Analysis equipment / software
What can YOU learn?
- All aspects of what an analyst can provide to a team
- How to use Sportscode Pro/Elite, Video distribution through Hudl, and other platforms
- Put together video highlights (internal and social media)
- How to set up and operate our Sportsmast / Endzone filming towers
- Sport specific: Skill / Technique / Biomechanical Analysis (e.g. scrum, kicking, sprinting, turning)
- Supporting UC Premier Coaches and being part of a team here at UC
Game analysis allows teams to video and review key events that occurred during competition play or practice. These key phases can be reviewed by the coach, support staff, and players after their game. UC Rec and sport team tailors coded events to suit the individual sport and coaches requirements.
- Review your game and key events after the game:
Improve team performance with immediate feedback.
- Have your analysis tailored to suit your needs:
Identify the areas you would like to see analysed, or let us suggest appropriate events in the game to code.
Examples of events coded during game analysis in hockey
- Ball at back
- Circle penetrations
- Penalty corners
- Defensive outlet
- Defensive press or patterns
- Free hits
- Leading (for space or to receive ball)
- Missed tackles
Optimise your sporting performance and reduce your risk of injury through improved technique and movement efficiency. We offer a range of video analysis options covering both team and individual sports and their related movement patterns.
Benefits of individual technique analysis
- Identify strengths and weakness in your technique
- Improve movement patterns
- Reduce your risk of injury
- Enhance your body awareness through visual feedback.
What to expect from your video analysis
- We will film you during competition or training
- We will analyse your technique using SiliconCoach Pro 7
- We will review your technique with athlete and coach, using the analysis results
- We will provide you with awareness drills and/or strengthening exercises to assist you in optimising performance.
Our areas of expertise
- Running technique
- Bike setup
- Team sports (football, netball, hockey, touch)
- Specific team sport skills (e.g. shoot, hit, pass, kick, tackle, turning)
Our live streaming software and mobile Endzone Tripod can bring your tournament to life through online platforms via Youtube or Facebook. With a direct link to your sport club or school social media page your games are captured and showcased live for people to watch online.
- Indoor court access
- Ethernet capability (for smoother buffering) or our Wi-Fi moblie router
- Access to your social media page for the duration of the tournament
For a free quote please contact us:
With the new Panasonic HC-X1500 released in March 2020 we can connect to a mobile Wi-Fi network and LIVESTREAM your games to your own Facebook page or Youtube channel.
The EVS combines the best of all outdoor telescoping towers. Not only is it a towering 35 feet tall, but it also has the portable base that is our sturdiest ever while also being the easierst to move around. This school sports video equipment combines high levels of durability with versatility and ease of use.
Our trained camera operators can assist you with quality footage and set up on the day
- Mobile camera to any location on or off the field
- Angle and height of capture for a clear wide angle view
- Pant, tilt and zoom of footage
- Live monitoring and updating of score
- Personable service with up to date technology
- Reliable people to connect with your organisation
Strength & Conditioning
UC Rec & Sport are providing Strength & Conditioning support to:
- UC Men’s and Women’s Premier teams (Rugby, Hockey, Football, Netball and Basketball)
- UC Sport Academy
These programmes give athletes access to K1 (private gym), an experienced and qualified coach every session, individualised programs, flexible workout times, testing / monitoring and advice on improving sports performance. Seminars in areas that help athletes holistically (sports psychology, nutrition, athlete life).
Your job as an intern will be to integrate yourself into an agreed upon club or program and enhance your skills to become an independent confident, robust coach.
What can YOU learn?
- You will be mentored by our Strength and Conditioning Coaches at UC
- Program design for individuals and groups
- How to interact with a diverse range of athletes to improve time management, communication, knowledge and understanding of how to coach.
- Variety of different training methods
- Testing and monitoring
- Creating positive and influential relationships
Other Areas (Open to Negotiation)
UC Rec & Sport are open to other internship areas:
Areas of interest are, but not limited to:
- Journalism (i.e. Blog writing)
- Sports Photography
- Marketing & Social Media
If you are still interested but the above catergories do not fit your needs, then please still apply and let us know what you would like to intern with. UC Rec & Sport are involved with multiple areas which also include the UC Rec Centre services (Gym Hosting).
For more information email: email@example.com