Strength & Conditioning
UC Rec & Sport are providing Strength & Conditioning support to:
- UC Men’s and Women’s Premier teams (Rugby, Hockey, Football, Netball and Basketball)
- UC Sport Academy
UC Rec and Sport offer strength and conditioning internships to give students the opportunity to gain experience in the working environment. As part of the internship programme, you will integrate yourself into a club or program that suits you, where you will enhance your skills to become an independent, confident and robust coach.
As an intern, you will:
- Gain access to K1, a private gym
- Have and experienced and qualified coach at every session
- Get individualised programs
- Flexible work hours
- The ability to test, monitor and get advice on improving sports performance
What can YOU learn?
- You will be mentored by our Strength and Conditioning Coaches at UC
- Program design for individuals and groups
- How to interact with a diverse range of athletes to improve time management, communication, knowledge and understanding of how to coach.
- Variety of different training methods
- Testing and monitoring
- Creating positive and influential relationships
“I studied a Post Graduate Diploma in Exercise Science at Otago Polytechnic. This diploma experience was an opportunity to work under a coach, that I'd been put in contact with through another sports scientist, that was looking to start a new high performance centre in Christchurch.
The motivation to go ahead with this opportunity was that I saw value in the experience I would gain, as this could lead me to a paid part/full time job in a field that seldom pays well, and where unpaid internships are common.
What I love most about the UC Sports Academy is the range of athletes & their many different personal goals that they have. The supervisors are helpful and are always keen to help upcoming and passionate coaches, something that is rarely seen in high performance.
Doing an internship is beneficial if you see value in learning from quality people and being a part of a cool group that have an athlete centred mindset. I think it would also be beneficial for new, first time interns as the supervisors are inviting & always keen to lend a hand.”
– Daniel O’Brien (2021 Intern)
Now: Strength & Conditioning Coach at UC Rec & Sport