Ekea ngā taero | Tips and tricks
The first tip for maximising your study is finding balance. If you are able to connect all aspects of your life it will strengthen and encourage wellbeing. If you are struggling with work/life balance you may experience poor sleep, poor concentration and feelings of overwhelmed.
Barriers to balance:
- ‘I’m stressed out and do not want to have to put more time into balancing my life’
Un-managed stress can make you feel as if you are taking two steps forward and 1 step back. Taking the time to manage your stress and plan for when stress may hit, allows you to have some perspective and work out logically what needs to be done.
- ‘I think I am going to have to study all day every day, I have no time for anything else’
Multiple studies have found that taking the time to have breaks or spend time doing activities/ hobbies other than studying can help improve memory and concentration.
- ‘If I do not perfect my study-social life, I am a failure’
There is never one right way to do anything. Everyone’s lives are different and what worked for you once may not work for you any longer. Sometimes change can be a good thing.
Boost your balance:
- Find out your strengths and play to them
When figuring out your study plan, determine who with, how, where and when you study best and plan accordingly.
- Manage your time
Factor in time for non-study related exercises. Exercise and sleep are key factors to consider, are you getting enough of each? Watch a short two-minute video which talks about balance
- Be flexible
What works for you one day may not work the next. Experience with different techniques and vary your routine to keep yourself from getting bored.
Procrastination affects us all. It typically occurs when the study or task feels difficult or unclear. Have you ever watched a movie but procrastinated before doing it?, most likely not, as it is fun and relaxing. Questioning why we are avoiding a task is a good first step to take to realise why we are procrastinating.
Some websites to procrastinate to:
- Cheezburger – funny memes and videos
- Buzzfeed – a bit of everything
- benedictcumberbatchgenerator.tumblr – a site which generates funny names
Need More Information?
- View the how to get back on track guide by the University of Adelaide.
- For tips and tricks on studying with friends.
- Time management is a huge part of studying effectively, for a how to on completing your assignments a week before they are due.
- Top 10 Study Tips for Distance Learners
- The 9 BEST Scientific Study Tips
- Ted Talk: How a student changed her study habits