Advice and tips
Help us to help you
You can help make the campus safer and more secure for everyone by:
- Recognising and avoiding potentially risky situations.
- Reporting any thefts or suspicious behaviour to Security.
Tips to help you take charge of your own safety
- Be alert and walk purposefully. Confidence deters attackers.
- Use the recommended walking routes on campus at night - Safe walk map
- Avoid lonely or gloomy places, walk with friends or stay with a crowd.
- Be wary of strangers, on foot or in cars, asking directions - it is better to be rude than to be in trouble.
- If someone follows you, go to a place where there are other people.
- Respect your intuition. Don’t allow rationality to override your ‘sixth sense’ - it could protect you from danger.
- When you’re socializing, play smart. One drink too many could make you vulnerable.
Taking public transport
- Know your timetables to avoid long waits - especially if you’re alone.
- Rather than sit in lonely, closed-in shelters, keep to open, populated areas in full view.
- Phone for taxis rather than hailing them; if possible have someone see you off; keep a note of the taxi number; sit in the back seat on the opposite side to the driver; and don’t disclose personal information.
Taking your car
- Park in well-lit, designated areas.
- Hold your keys ready to open the door and be prepared to use them to jab an attacker.
- Check the back seat or hatch for intruders before getting into the car.
- Once inside, lock all doors and (if possible) leave windows up until you have reached your destination safely.
- Move your car to designated (recommended) Car parking area on campus if studying after dark. Do not park in mobility parking unless you have a mobility pass
- All vehicles require a current parking permit between 8am – 5 pm Monday to Friday from the 1st of january to the 31st of December. Staff/student permits are not required on campus after 5pm on weekdays, weekends and public holidays. Mobility and reserved parking areas are monitored 24/7
- The Security Services have three simple tips for when you leave your car: LOOK - LOCK - LEAVE.