- B.A. Hons, University of Natal
- Higher Diploma in Education, University of Natal
- CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), Cambridge
- Certificate of Proficiency (Education), University of Canterbury
- M,A., Syracuse University
- Ph.D., University of Natal
My doctoral thesis, entitled “Self, Life and Writing in Selected South African Autobiographical Texts”, covered self-representational writing published during the apartheid period (1948-1994). The primary focus of my research is life writing in its many forms. I compiled and edited The Closest of Strangers (2004, Wits University Press), an anthology of South African women’s autobiographical writing. Co-edited volumes include a.k.a. Breyten Breytenbach (2004, Rodopi), Selves in Question: Interviews on Southern African Auto/biography (2006, University of Hawai’i Press), and a CD entitled Campbell in Context (2004, Killie Campbell Africana Library Series, University of KwaZulu-Natal). Most recently, I co-edited Antjie Krog: An Ethics of Body and Otherness (2014, University of KwaZulu-Natal Press).
Selected recent publications
- Coullie JL (2020) “Teaching strategies for lecturers and tutors to assist non-English mother tongue tertiary students: Summarising, paraphrasing and vocabulary enrichment.” South African Journal of Higher Education 34 (1). DOI: 10.20853/34-1-2924. https://www.journals.ac.za/index.php/sajhe/article/view/2924
- Coullie JL (2018) “The Memory Box Project: Ethical Considerations of Memory Work amongst AIDS Orphans in South Africa.” Current Writing: Text and Reception in Southern Africa 30 (2).
- Coullie JL (2018) “Editor’s introduction: The Ethics of Memory in Post-apartheid South African Writing.” Current Writing: Text and Reception in Southern Africa 30 (2).
- Coullie JL (2017) Review of Diasporas, Cultures of Mobilities, ‘Race’. Ariel 48 (2).
- Coullie JL (2016) “The Ethics of Nostalgia in Post Apartheid South Africa”. In, K. Newmann (Ed.), Historical Justice (London: Routledge).
- Coullie JL (2014) "Allie". J.A.A.M.: Just Another Art Movement 32.
- Coullie JL (2014) “Engendering a Little More Truth: Gender and Genre in Shared Lives”. Life Writing 11 (2).
- Coullie JL (2014) “Remembering to Forget: Testimony, Collective Memory and the Genesis of the ‘New’ South African Nation in Country of My Skull.” In, Antjie Krog: An Ethics of Body and Otherness. Eds. J. L. Coullie & A. Visagie(Scottsville: University of KwaZulu-Natal Press).
- Coullie JL (2014) “A Question of Ethics in There Was This Goat: Investigating the Truth Commission Testimony of Notrose Nobombu Konile.” In, Antjie Krog: An Ethics of Body and Otherness. Eds. J. L. Coullie & A. Visagie(Scottsville: University of KwaZulu-Natal Press).