Teaching is a varied and rewarding career for people who are energetic, creative, and committed to making a difference for children and young people.
Develop your own teaching style with studies in education and learning theories, classroom placements, interactive workshops, and mentoring from practising teachers in Aotearoa.
- Qualify to be an Early Childhood, Primary, or Secondary school teacher.
- Learn the Aotearoa school curriculum, te ao Māori, and how to engage kids and young people with their academic, social, and emotional needs.
- Flexible study options for some programmes, including on-campus, distance, blended study, and part-time.
- School placements and community engagement projects will prepare you for the classroom.
UC offers qualifications in:
- Early Childhood Teacher Education
- Primary Teacher Education
- Mātauranga Māori
- Secondary Teacher Education (postgraduate only)
These programmes lead to provisional teacher registration in Aotearoa New Zealand.
For details on entry requirements and the application process, see the Guide to Applying.
See also Education offered as a major and minor in other degrees.
Your classroom skills planning lessons, coordinating tasks, and communicating ideas will prepare you to develop lifelong learning in young people. You will also suit other areas such as politics, business, and community engagement where working with diverse groups and motivating others is especially useful.
Some career pathways could include:
- Early childhood, primary, or secondary teacher
- Policy and advocacy
- Youth work and counselling
- Educational publisher.
Find out more about what you can do with a teaching degree.
Level 5, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Teacher Education
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
A child’s early years have a significant impact on their lifelong development. As an early childhood teacher, you will provide experiences that lay the ...