Tauwhitinga Māori: Māori Communication Strategy and Practice
Māori communication is very important for businesses in Aotearoa, as they are increasingly looking for ways to include Māori culture and heritage in their media, advertising, communications, and everyday practices.
This major is ideal for anyone looking to bring about social change, and help industries engage strongly with our bicultural nation.
- Learn to create public-facing content representing Māori, from print to television to social media.
- Internship projects during your degree will place you within iwi businesses, communication agencies, and other local UC contacts.
- Specialised knowledge as this is the only major of its kind in Aotearoa on Māori communication strategy and Kaupapa Māori (values and goals) in professional workplaces.
- This major can be studied alongside other courses such as Te Reo Māori, History, and Geography.
Tauwhitinga Māori: Māori Communication Strategy and Practice major
Complete the compulsory courses for the Bachelor of Communication, along with the following major courses:
Bicultural practice and expertise are in high demand in many industries. You will be particularly good at advising or creating content for iwi, government, creative, education, or business communication.
You may even find work internationally in places where experience in Indigenous communications and engagement are especially needed, for example in Australia, Canada, and the USA.
Some career pathways could include:
- Marketing analysis
- Media content creation
- Public outreach and relations
- Campaign management.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Te Kura Mātāpuna Tangata | School of Language, Social and Political Sciences
Phone +64 3 369 0742
Level 6, Elsie Locke Building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Tauwhitinga Māori: Māori Communication Strategy and Practice
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Note: This subject is currently not open to new enrolments. As we grow as a nation, Aotearoa and the world needs to recognise and include our indigenous ...
Communication Strategy and Practice
Communication is an essential part of any organisation and like any other process requires a strategic plan. This involves knowing who your audience is, what ...