Strategy and Entrepreneurship
Strategy and Entrepreneurship is the highest level of managerial activity, usually performed by a company's chief executive officer, and executive team.
Strategy is the capstone function of business management. It deals with making decisions to create advantage and above-normal profits, and provides overall direction to an enterprise. Entrepreneurship pertains to how to recognise, assess, and exploit attractive opportunities using innovation, leveraging risk, and engaging in effective competitive action. Entrepreneurship refers to all aspects of setting up, running, and growing new business ventures.
Together, these disciplines help managers develop and grow businesses of any size (including new ventures).
A major in Strategy and Entrepreneurship is a useful companion to a technical degree as it adds a managerial way of thinking to technical competence.
Minor in Entrepreneurship
UC also offers a minor in Entrepreneurship, which allows Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts students to complement their major subject with study in a different discipline. This can increase breadth of knowledge at an undergraduate level, and potentially employability.
See Schedule B to the Bachelor of Commerce for details of minor subject requirements for both degrees.
- Entrepreneurship is one of the fastest growing majors internationally in universities with over 2,000 programmes globally. UC has an internationally recognised group of scholars in Strategy and Entrepreneurship who are active researchers and award-winning teachers. In addition, the Strategy and Entrepreneurship academics have an impact on government and industry, for example studying how Ōtautahi Christchurch's rebuild was most effectively accomplished by one coordinating super-organisation; and whether business accelerators create jobs in Aotearoa New Zealand or build community entrepreneurial capabilities.
- Students at UC will be exposed to business at all levels from individually owned and run small businesses, to family business, to social enterprise, to high-tech focused startups, and large corporations using innovation to gain advantage.
- A wide portfolio of classes in Strategy and Entrepreneurship allow students to develop their ability to recognise opportunities as well as core business skills of planning, project management, and teamwork. Students gain real-world experience and make connections with businesses and the community through business case competitions.
- UC is also home to the Te Pokapū Rakahinonga | UC Centre for Entrepreneurship which runs the Incubator Programme and Summer Startup Programme – where budding entrepreneurs can join a community of like-minded students and staff, access useful resources, learn how to set up a new business venture, gain experience, or take on an internship.
- Aotearoa New Zealand is ranked as the #1 country for starting a business (World Bank Group Doing Business 2019 Report), and Ōtautahi Christchurch is home to a number of computing technology and innovation industries, with many start-up companies searching for skilled graduates from UC.
There are no formal requirements for those wishing to study Strategy and Entrepreneurship.
Good communication skills, both written and interpersonal, are important. Those who have studied English-rich subjects eg, English, history, geography to an advanced level at school will benefit from the skills they have learned.
Sound analytical and numeracy skills are also important. An interest in business, and why firms succeed or fail, is advantageous.
The first-year, 100-level courses required to complete a Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Strategy and Entrepreneurship are:
- ACCT 102 Accounting and Financial Information
- ECON 104 Introduction to Microeconomics (or ECON 199, a STAR course for secondary school students)
- INFO 123 Information Systems and Technology
- MGMT 100 Fundamentals of Management
- MKTG 100 Principles of Marketing
- MGMT 170 Managerial Decision Making
- STAT 101 Statistics 1
- Plus 15 points from 100-level Commerce or any other UC courses
There is a wide range of classes to take in entrepreneurship covering topics including: innovation management, international entrepreneurship, entrepreneurship and new ventures, and social entrepreneurship. Strategy classes look at strategic management and strategy processes and practices.
For the complete, three-year BCom Strategy and Entrepreneurship major degree plan go to the UC Business School | Te Kura Umanga website.
See the Schedule B to the Bachelor of Commerce for details of the Entrepreneurship minor requirements for Commerce and Arts degrees.
Whether you want to specialise in strategy, take over a family business, create a social enterprise to solve an unmet human need, work in government policy, become a venture investor, manage a large corporation, or even start your own business one day – UC Commerce programmes reflect the latest research and business applications to give you a flying start in whatever career you choose.
UC’s real-world focus on internships, competitions, entrepreneurship, and community involvement gives you a taste of the excitement and opportunity of working at the top end of business innovation and leadership.
Graduates start their careers in a wide range of trainee management, operations, marketing or market research roles and advance into positions as business consultants, strategic business analysts, and senior managers in the commercial, public, and not-for-profit sectors.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Strategy and Entrepreneurship.
Reception Level 2, Meremere Building – see campus maps
College of Business and Law | Te Rāngai Umanga me te Ture
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Strategy and Entrepreneurship
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Economics is the study of how people behave. Every day, people and society are confronted by choices. Should you go to university or start a career? What ...