Sport Science is the study of the human body and the effects sport, exercise, and nutrition have on health and athletic performance.
- Focus on different areas of sport science, including sport psychology, exercise physiology, nutrition, biomechanics, strength and conditioning, and performance analysis.
- Internship in your third year, working with a professional strength and conditioning coach in a senior sports team.
- Sport Science minor available within many bachelor’s degrees so you can combine anatomical knowledge with other subjects, for example product design, medicinal chemistry, business, and more.
Sport Science major
For the major in the Bachelor of Sport Coaching, complete the following courses:
- Three courses chosen from these options
- Four courses chosen from these options
Sport Science minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- Five courses chosen from these options, with at least three at 200-level and one at 300-level
Knowledge of how the body works, how to take care of it, and getting the best performance out of it will make you a valuable expert in the fitness and health fields. This can lead into careers working all the way from everyday clients at the gym up to high performance athletes on the world stage.
Some career pathways could include:
- High performance coach
- Fitness trainer
- Sports administrator
- Exercise scientist.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Sport Coaching.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Sport Science
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Sport Coaching graduates are motivated and passionate leaders who inspire others towards success in sport, athletic development, and physical and mental ...