Sport Marketing and Management
Sport Marketing and Management study explores the business of sport and how it has grown into a massive profit-making industry across the world.
Gain insight into all the inner workings of the sporting industry, including recruiting athletes, merchandising, events and promotions, and more.
Minor in Sport Management
UC also offers a minor in Sport Management within multiple degrees so you can upskill your other studies with specific knowledge around managing business processes in the sports industry.
- Learn end-to-end business processes in the sports industry, from financing to recruitment to creating a team brand.
- Develop strategies in management, team structure, and game theory to motivate your team towards success.
- Gain business knowledge of behind-the-scenes processes, such as connecting with sponsors and coordinating games and major events.
- Work experiences and an internship in your final year leading real sports teams.
Sport Marketing and Management major
Complete the compulsory courses for the Bachelor of Sport, along with the following major courses:
Sport Management minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- SPRT108 Sport, Business and Governance
- MGMT100 Fundamentals of Management
- SPCO224 Sport Management
- MGMT206 Organisational Behaviour OR MGMT207 Principles of Human Resource Management
This degree will expand your sporting knowledge with business skills so you can go into professional leadership positions, from leading a club all the way up to a national sport organisation.
There is an increasing need for more graduates at all levels with knowledge of marketing and management in the sports industry.
Career pathways could include:
- team manager
- brand manager
- events coordinator
- sports executive.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Sport Marketing and Management
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Marketing goes beyond advertising and sales pitches — it analyses customer needs to design and produce goods or services that match buyer expectations, or even ...