Sport Coaching graduates are motivated and passionate leaders who inspire others and are committed to success. They are equipped with key skills employers are looking for, not just in sport, recreation, or athlete development, but in everything from people development and motivation in business environments, to events and corporate management.
Sport Coaching students develop a valuable set of transferable skills including motivation and teaching skills, awareness of holistic health principles and wellbeing, interpretive and analytical skills, leadership and people management skills, and problem-solving skills.
A degree in Sport Coaching also provides a recognised pathway to teaching, in particular physical education and health teaching, when combined with a graduate teaching qualification (see Primary or Secondary Teacher Education).
- The Bachelor of Sport Coaching (BSpC) degree is a unique blend of practical application and theory that immerses you in the sociology, science, theory, and practice of sport and sport coaching.
- Students experience coaching practice with clubs and schools in the community.
- Strong practical elements, including a 120-hour internship in the final year, help motivate students to excel in their chosen field and to work towards getting the job they want.
- Sport Coaching subjects can be taken as a minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Youth and Community Leadership. BSpC students can also study towards a double degree at UC.
The BSpC can be started in February or July.
Applicants under 20 must have University Entrance. Applicants over 20 must provide evidence of their ability to complete tertiary study successfully.
As some of the courses within this programme involve working with children, a police check and interview will be completed at the beginning of these courses – you will be sent information on how to complete these at the appropriate time.
Sport Coaching courses are grouped into three main strands: pedagogy (the theory and application of coaching and learning), sport and exercise sciences, and sociology of sport.
Bachelor of Sport Coaching
See the Bachelor of Sport Coaching for the compulsory courses in the degree.
All students complete core Sport Coaching courses throughout the three years of the degree, as well as courses towards a major, a major and minor, or a double major.
Major and minor subject options include:
- Adventure Sport and Environment
- Performance Analysis
- Physical Education
- Sport Science
- Sports Leadership and Management
- Strength and Conditioning with Nutrition (includes separate minors in Strength and Conditioning, and Nutrition)
Graduates can seek postgraduate opportunities in sport and education or health-related areas of study. With careful course selection, Sport Coaching graduates are also eligible to apply for entry to a postgraduate programme to teach physical education in secondary schools, or become a primary school teacher.
The BSpC degree gives students a strong grounding in transferable career skills that are highly valued in the workforce, including leadership, communication, motivation, and teamwork.
Rewarding careers can be gained in professional and community sport coaching, administration and strategic management, as well as coach and athlete development.
Recent UC Sport Coaching graduates have become sports coaches, personal trainers, policy analysts, health advisors, teachers, managers, outdoor recreation guides, school sports directors, community development officers, and performance analysts.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Sport Coaching.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora | College of Education, Health and Human Development
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Sport Coaching
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
The Performance Analysis major is one of five majors of the Bachelor of Sport Coaching (BSpC) degree, which is a unique blend of practical application and ...