Society and Policy
Society and Policy looks at how health and wellbeing services are regulated and managed.
By understanding the impact health policies have on society, you will gain the skills needed to work in the public health and social policy sectors and make meaningful changes to the help people need.
- Examine health services and policies in Aotearoa and find ways to better access, process, and engage with vulnerable communities.
- Develop knowledge around important issues and debates in policy, such as freedom of choice, euthanasia, chronic illness and disabilities resources, gender transition, vaccine mandates, abortion, and inequality.
- Study the Society and Policy minor in a wide variety of degrees and build your expertise of health systems in Aotearoa alongside your other interests.
Society and Policy minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- Choose 75 points from the course list, with at least 45 points above 100-level
You will be prepared for work in policy analysis, social science research, humanities, and the development of public policy. The health science field is broad and can include non-clinical roles, government, city councils, non-governmental organisations, and working directly with clients.
Some career pathways could include:
- Health policy analyst
- Public health advisor
- Health promoter
- Health services administrator.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Health Sciences.
Te Kura Mātai Hauora | School of Health Sciences
Phone +64 3 369 3333
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Society and Policy
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Political Communication is about how we gather, analyse, and translate data on political topics such as international relations, public health risks, economical ...
Our political systems in Aotearoa are engaging more with indigenous values and solutions so we can continue to grow as a nation. This major will help you ...