Primary Teacher Education
Teaching and learning is founded on meaningful interactions. Primary Teaching allows you to encourage and discover children's lifelong potential and make a real difference to their lives.
If you are energetic, creative, and enjoy working with kids, teaching is the right career for you.
- Learn how to teach the Primary curriculum, including mathematics, English, science, technology, social studies, health and PE, art, music, dance, drama, and languages.
- Develop your teacher identity and the skills to be advocates, leaders, and creators of knowledge in the Primary sector.
- Bicultural focus interweaving Māori and Western knowledge and Māori teaching practices, including a noho marae experience and Te reo Māori me onā tikanga Māori courses that will be taught in each year.
- 125 days of mentored professional learning experience in a kura/early childhood centre/school alongside an experienced kaiako.
For the endorsement in Ako: Bachelor of Teaching and Learning, complete the following courses:
- AKOT101 Ngā Tāngata o Aotearoa: Te Mana o Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- AKOT110 Te Reo Māori Tahi: Mā te Kaiako
- AKOP150 Teacher as Learner
- AKOP151 He Taonga te Tangata | The person is a Treasure
- AKOP152 Exploring the Curriculum
- AKOP153 Designing the Curriculum
- AKOP154 Curriculum for Practice: Literacy and Mathematics
- AKOA161 Mana Aotūroa 1 | Practice Exploration 1
- AKOT210 Te Reo Māori Rua: Mā te Kaiako
- AKOP250 Teacher as a Practitioner
- AKOP251 Weaving the Curriculum: Learning Languages and Social Sciences
- AKOP252 Developing Learning in Literacy and Mathematics
- AKOP253 Weaving the Curriculum: The Arts and Health and Physical Education
- AKOP254 Weaving the Curriculum: Science and Technology
- AKOA261 Mana Aotūroa 2 | Practice Exploration 2
- AKOA262 Mana Aotūroa 3 | Practice Exploration 3
- AKOT231 Saili Matagi - 'Seeking the winds of change in Pasifika education'
- AKOT310 Te Reo Māori Toru: Mā te Kaiako
- AKOP350 Teacher as Professional
- AKOP351 Connecting the Curriculum
- AKOP352 Teaching Sustainability, Justice and the Local Curriculum
- AKOP353 Building Teacher Agency and Capability Through Inquiry
- AKOA361 Mana Aotūroa 4 | Primary Practice Exploration 4
- AKOA362 Mana Aotūroa 5 | Primary Practice Exploration 5
If you have a passion to learn more about te reo Māori me ōna tikanga, you could consider the Mātauranga Māori endorsement (Primary).
A Primary Teaching degree opens up teaching and management job opportunities in primary, intermediate, middle, and area schools.
You will also have transferable skills to roles outside of teaching that involve knowledge of education and learning as well as working with young people.
Some career pathways could include:
- Primary teaching in schools or kura
- Education policy
- Community and youth work
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Primary Teacher Education.
Level 5, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Primary Teacher Education
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
By studying Physical Education you will develop a range of professional, interpersonal and intrapersonal skills that prepare you for entry into a physical ...