Population Health Data Science
Population Health Data Science explores the relationships between the physical environment and our health by using data to find patterns and potential solutions to health problems.
This includes using geomapping health data for air quality in urban areas, mapping disease outbreak in cities, and calculating traffic accidents.
- Gain skills in gathering, analysing, and presenting data that can be used in a range of health applications — mapping disease outbreaks, finding sources and spread of pollution, and more.
- Complete practical workshops using data science technologies, and a final-year project working alongside local organisations on public health issues.
- Access to state-of-the-art computer and software labs with UC’s connections with Manawa Health Hub and research centres such as Te Taiwhenua o te Hauora | GeoHealth Laboratory.
Population Health Data Science major
For the major in the Bachelor of Data Science, complete the following courses:
- HLTH213 Health Systems and Policy
- HLTH214 Environmental and Occupational Health
- One 200-level HLTH or GEOG course
- GEOG325 Health, Wellbeing and Environment
- HLTH312 Health Planning, Implementation and Evaluation
- HLTH309 Data Science Applications for Population Health
Plus complete two courses chosen from these options.
Data scientists are in demand as it is an area of work that faces significant skills shortages globally. Study in Population Health Data Science provides you with a strong foundation in health sciences with data science methodologies.
With environmental and economic changes affecting the globe, your skills in this degree will help combat our rising health challenges and environmental contamination.
Some career pathways could include:
- Health researcher
- Intelligence advisor
- Data scientist
- Disaster response advisor.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Data Science.
For study planning help, please contact Professor Peyman Zawar-Reza:
Te Kaupeka Pūtaiao | Faculty of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Population Health Data Science
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
The Māori and Indigenous Health major combines Indigenous culture and practices with health and social services.You will learn the content and skills to support ...