By studying Physical Education you will develop a range of professional, interpersonal and intrapersonal skills that prepare you for entry into a physical education teaching qualification. These skills are also transferable across a wider range of careers in sport, health, recreation, and physical activity.
- Practical courses, field trips, and a 120-hour internship working in a school or professional sporting workplace.
- Optional courses ranging from individual and team sports, health and wellbeing, physical activity and recreation, and adventure sports.
- This major is a recognised pathway to physical education and health teaching when combined with a one-year graduate teaching qualification.
Physical Education major
For the major in the Bachelor of Sport Coaching, complete the following courses:
- EDUC206 Education and Society: Ideals and Realities
- SPCO204 Biomechanics
- One course chosen from these options
Physical Education teaching career pathway
If you are interested in a career as a secondary school Physical Education (PE) teacher, you can follow your degree with the one-year Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning to become qualified as an Aotearoa New Zealand teacher.
Physical Education knowledge prepares you for a variety of careers, including teaching PE, health, wellbeing, and sexuality at primary and secondary schools and beyond.
Some career pathways could include:
- Primary (PE specialist) or secondary PE teacher
- Community/school PE advisor
- Sport development officer
- Sports coach.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Sport Coaching.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Physical Education
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
With a mix of practical and theory, the Adventure Sport and Environment minor appeals to students with an interest in adventure and exploring Aotearoa.In this ...