The Performance Analysis major is one of five majors of the Bachelor of Sport Coaching (BSpC) degree, which is a unique blend of practical application and theory that will immerse you in the sociology, science, theory, and practice of sport and sport coaching. Performance Analysis minor study is also available in other UC degrees.
Performance Analysis is about collating real data to provide accurate information about performance and forecasting of future results. As well as collating statistics, students are taught to gather performance data, analyse, and identify significant patterns eg, decipher a SWOT Analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) to understand the strengths of your own athletes as well as those of your competitor.
You will learn to communicate this data effectively, in the form of written and verbal reports to managers, athletes, and coaches. You will then be able to support and advise on the analysis of skill performance in team and individual settings, using a range of equipment and analytical tools.
- There is an opportunity for an internship organised by students according to their area of specialisation. It involves working in a professional sporting organisation learning about management structures, organising events, and participating in other activities.
- Strong practical elements, including a 120-hour internship in the final year will help motivate students to excel in their chosen field and provide the motivation to seek the job they want.
- Students experience coaching practice with clubs and schools in the community.
- The Bachelor of Sport Coaching degree also provides a recognised pathway to teaching, in particular physical education, outdoor education, and health teaching, with the option to include an additional teaching subject such as mathematics or science, when combined with a graduate teaching qualification.
- Students will have the opportunity to complete internationally recognised Level 1 and Level 2 performance analysis software accreditation as part of their studies.
- All Sport Coaching courses are open to students from other degrees, and Bachelor of Sport Coaching students can also study towards a double degree at UC.
Performance Analysis major
For the major in the Bachelor of Sport Coaching, complete the following courses:
- One course chosen from these options
Performance Analysis minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Health Sciences, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social and Environmental Sustainability, Bachelor of Sport Coaching, or Bachelor of Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- SPCO 331 Performance Analysis 2: Tools and Techniques
- One course chosen from these options
The BSpC degree gives students a strong grounding in transferable career skills which are highly valued in the workforce, including leadership, communication, motivation, and teamwork. Rewarding careers can be gained in professional and community sport coaching, administration and strategic management, as well as physical education, primary teaching, and coach and athlete development.
Recent UC Sport Coaching graduates have become sports coaches, personal trainers, policy analysts, health advisors, teachers, managers in various organisations, outdoor recreation guides, school sports directors, community development officers, and performance analysts.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Sport Coaching.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora | College of Education, Health and Human Development
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Performance Analysis
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Physical Education is one of five majors of the Bachelor of Sport Coaching (BSpC) degree, which is a unique blend of practical application and theory that will ...
The Strength and Conditioning with Nutrition major is one of five majors of the Bachelor of Sport Coaching (BSpC) degree, which is a unique blend of practical ...