Media and Communication
Communication shapes the world we live in – whether by media professionals, large organisations, or individuals.
By studying Media and Communication, you will learn how to analyse and produce communications and media, and how other people understand it within their own social worlds.
- Explore how media builds community, reinforces norms or drives social change, and how consumption of media affects culture, politics, and behaviour.
- Individual and group projects on multiple platforms – digital, television, podcasts, and more.
- Create relationships with professional media guest speakers from industry and benefit from presentations and seminars from guest lecturers from around the world.
Media and Communication major
For the major in the Bachelor of Arts, complete the following courses:
- Three 200-level COMS courses
Media and Communication minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Health Sciences, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social and Environmental Sustainability, Bachelor of Sport Coaching, or Bachelor of Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- 75 points in 100 to 300-level COMS courses, with at least 45 points above 100-level
Media and Communication prepares you for a career in a communication industry or any profession that values communication with people and clients, from the news media to marketing to government.
Some career pathways could include:
- Communications and public relations
- Social media and digital marketing
- Web and app design
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Media and Communication.
Level 6, Elsie Locke Building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Media and Communication
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
This specialisation is for those who want to be a part of the creative industry at large by combining artistic and business skills. Study at least two areas of ...