Industrial Product Design
Hoahoa Hua Pakihi
Studying Industrial Product Design will teach you how to design and deliver suitable products that solve problems and generate consumer interest.
Power tools, parachutes, footwear, furniture, backpacks, bikes, inhalers, and interfaces are all examples of Industrial Product Design. This subject combines creative innovation with technical and business skills.
Find out more about Industrial Product Design.
- Gain practical understanding of the product design lifecycle — from research and idea generation through to prototyping, testing, and delivery.
- Cross-disciplinary study including engineering, physics, mathematics, design, and science.
- Access to computer designing software to test, visualise, and communicate your ideas.
- Opportunities to enter in internationally recognised design competitions.
Industrial Product Design major
Complete the compulsory courses for the Bachelor of Product Design, along with the following major courses:
- PROD111 Materials Science for Design
- PROD112 Digital Modelling for Design
- PHYS101 Engineering Physics A: Mechanics, Waves, Electromagnetism and Thermal Physics OR PHYS111 Introductory Physics for Physical Sciences and Engineering
- PROD210 Design and Manufacture
- PROD211 Materials Engineering and Selection
- PROD212 Thermofluids
- PROD213 Industrial Product Design 1A
- PROD214 Industrial Product Design 1B
- One 15-point course above 100-level from Engineering, Science, or Product Design degrees
- PROD311 Solid CAD
- PROD313 Industrial Product Design 2A
- PROD314 Industrial Product Design 2B
- One 200-level Engineering or Science course
- One 300-level Engineering or Science course
Studying Industrial Product Design will give you the skills to work across various industries due to the combination of disciplines you participate in during your studies.
Some career pathways could include:
- Industrial product designer
- Design researcher
- Design engineer
- Entrepreneur — set up your own company, generating your own product.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Industrial Product Design.
Te Kura Hanga Otinga | School of Product Design
Phone +64 3 369 4271 or +64 3 369 4272
Len Lye building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūhanga | Faculty of Engineering
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Industrial Product Design
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Note: This major is currently not open to new enrolments. Through the Design Innovation major, you can combine your creativity and mātauranga Māori with ...
Build your creativity and entrepreneurial skills by coming up with new products that help make life better for home, business, and industry. You could design ...