Indigenous Knowledge and Sustainable Partnerships
Making a difference in our global sustainability will need the lived experiences of all cultures, building on the diversity of our world views and histories. Our efforts continue to recognise, engage with, and respect Indigenous and local knowledge as critical to effective problem-solving.
This major is for those who want to learn how to engage respectfully and effectively with mana whenua and other Indigenous communities to advance the aspirations of local communities and the goals of sustainability and wellbeing for all.
Be the next generation of kaitiaki and help others to grow.
- Learn about Māori and Pasifika relationships with natural resources, and current issues in Aotearoa politics.
- Engage with local communities and iwi through field studies and an internship.
- Customisable major so you can follow your interests, such as in activism, policy, natural resource management, business, economics, and health.
- Develop collaboration and leadership values, including for example respect and understanding of manaakitanga (hospitality) and whakawhanaungatanga (connections).
Indigenous Knowledge and Sustainable Partnerships major
For the major in the Bachelor of Social and Environmental Sustainability, complete the following courses:
Many industries seek out graduates with leadership skills and cultural awareness. This major will teach you how to build relationships and help communities, regions, and businesses transform their cultural values and sustainable practices.
Some career pathways could include:
- Government sectors
- Advisory and project consultancy
- Communications and stakeholder engagement.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Level 1, Elsie Locke Building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Indigenous Knowledge and Sustainable Partnerships
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Political Science and International Relations is the study of our communities and how we make decisions collectively as governments, why we behave as we do as ...