Health Innovation allows you to explore issues and experiences for Māori in health and wellbeing, policy, and healthcare systems, and find ways to improve these.
Our current health services in Aotearoa show that Māori face inequalities in access, representation, and in higher rates of disease, and so we need more graduates with the ability to communicate between iwi and the health sector.
- Examine current health data, access to services, and education available in Aotearoa so you can find solutions that benefit Māori
- Learn about specific health issues that interest you, like mental health, sexuality, disease, and vaccinations
- See how indigenous communities across the globe respond to public health issues, such as pandemics
- Project and internships will allow you to practise making changes and creating your own health awareness programmes
Health Innovation major
For the major in the Bachelor of Māori Innovation, complete the following courses:
- HLTH 101 Introduction to Health Studies
- HLTH 106 Te Wero - Māori Health Issues and Opportunities
- HLTH 111 Global Health
- HLTH 201 Health Promotion
- HLTH 202 Health and Society: Applied Research for Aotearoa
- HLTH 213 Health Systems and Policy
- MAOR 270 Te Ao Hauora Tangata: Māori Health Perspectives
- 60 points of courses chosen from these options
Understanding the problems we have in our health services will make you a great fit working directly with iwi, or within development organisations or government, to help improve our practices and wellbeing.
Some career pathways could include:
- Health education and promotion
- Policy analysis
- Healthcare and systems management
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Level 1, Elsie Locke Building – see campus maps
Te Rāngai Toi Tangata | College of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Health Innovation
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Health is an enduring issue for society; it concerns everybody at every stage in life. Health Sciences at UC prepares students to contribute in a meaningful way ...