Health Innovation allows you to explore issues and experiences for Māori in health and wellbeing, policy, and healthcare systems, and find ways to improve these.
Our current health services in Aotearoa show that Māori face inequalities in access, representation, and in higher rates of disease, and so we need more graduates with the ability to communicate between iwi and the health sector.
- Examine current health data, access to services, and education available in Aotearoa so you can find solutions that benefit Māori.
- Learn about specific health issues that interest you, like mental health, sexuality, disease, and vaccinations.
- See how indigenous communities across the globe respond to public health issues, such as pandemics.
- Project and internships will allow you to practise making changes and creating your own health awareness programmes.
Health Innovation major
For the major in the Bachelor of Māori Innovation, complete the following courses:
- HLTH101 Introduction to Health Studies
- HLTH106 Te Wero - Māori Health Issues and Opportunities
- HLTH111 Global Health
- HLTH201 Health Promotion
- HLTH202 Health and Society: Applied Research for Aotearoa
- HLTH213 Health Systems and Policy
- MAOR270 Te Ao Hauora Tangata: Māori Health Perspectives
- 60 points of courses chosen from these options
Understanding the problems we have in our health services will make you a great fit working directly with iwi, or within development organisations or government, to help improve our practices and wellbeing.
Some career pathways could include:
- Health education and promotion
- Policy analysis
- Healthcare and systems management.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Level 1, Elsie Locke Building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Health Innovation
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Geography is an exciting and distinctive discipline at the interface between Science and Arts. Its focus is on putting various types of knowledge together to ...