If you are interested in helping people and communities empower themselves, then Health Education is for you.
This subject revolves around understanding population health issues and learning how to teach people to adopt healthier lifestyles to enhance their health and wellbeing.
- Understand how to build people’s health literacy.
- Develop a toolbox of teaching strategies that can be used at personal, interpersonal, and community level.
- Build confidence in presenting and facilitation.
- In your final year, complete an internship where you can apply what you’ve learnt and start your Health Education professional journey.
Health Education major
For the major in the Bachelor of Health Sciences, complete the following courses:
- HLED221 Models of Health Education
- HLED222 Sexualities Education
- HLED223 Physical Activity and Nutrition
Health Education minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- Choose five courses listed in the major, with at least three above 100-level
Health promotion pathway
If you are interested in working in health promotion the Certificate in Health Sciences and Diploma in Health Sciences can give you a headstart, preparing you with the practical and theoretical knowledge to make a positive contribution to population health and wellbeing.
On completion of your Certificate or Diploma you will be eligible to enrol in the Bachelor of Health Sciences majoring in Health Education.
These programmes are FREE under Targeted Training Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF). Visit tec.govt.nz for more information about TTAF and to check if you're eligible.
Your studies will equip you to work in different areas of health-related institutions and agencies such as community and public health, schools, Family Planning, Mental Health Foundation, and more.
Some career pathways could include:
- Health promoter
- Health Education teacher
- Whānau support worker
- Wellbeing coordinator.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Health Sciences.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Health Education
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
By studying Physical Education you will develop a range of professional, interpersonal and intrapersonal skills that prepare you for entry into a physical ...