Freshwater is one of our most precious resources, making up only 3% of water on the earth’s surface.
Studying Freshwater at UC will involve theoretical and applied skills to understand and develop water treatment systems and infrastructure, and exploring the ethical and sustainable use of freshwater resources.
- Study the journey of freshwater as it travels from mountains to the sea, and the effect it has on other ecological systems along the way.
- Learn about Aotearoa New Zealand’s unique cultural history, legal policies, and relationship with bodies of water and freshwater resources.
- Practical labs, fieldtrips, and work experience around Waitaha Canterbury — beaches, mountains, snow fields, forests, and wetlands.
- The Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours is accredited by the Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ) to deliver environmental practitioners for roles in industry, government, education and research, and the community.
Complete the compulsory courses for the Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours, along with the following major courses:
- WATR201 Freshwater Resources
- GEOG201 Environmental Process: Principles and Applications
- BIOL213 Microbiology OR CHEM247 Analytical Chemistry
- WATR301 Water Resource Management
- Two courses chosen from these options
Help ensure a sustainable future for this limited resource with a range of freshwater- related professions — whether it be water catchment, treatment, fisheries, or even disaster and contamination management.
Some career pathways can include:
- Environmental scientist
- Field technician
- Environmental planner
- Resource management officer.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Environmental Science.
Te Kura Aronukurangi | School of Earth and Environment
Phone +64 3 369 0655
Level 2, Beatrice Tinsley building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūtaiao | Faculty of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Freshwater
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Environmental Process Engineering
Environmental Process Engineering is ideal for environmentally-minded engineers who want to improve our planet by designing systems that treat water, air, and ...
Water and Environmental Systems Engineering
Population increase, urbanisation, natural hazards, and climate change are leading to complex challenges in how we manage our limited water resources and ...