Financial Engineering combines financial and economic theory with computational tools to design financial products, portfolios, markets, and regulations.
UC offers the only Financial Engineering programme in Aotearoa to help meet industry demand and international growth in the field.
- Combine topics from economics, maths, statistics, and engineering.
- Create financial models, market simulations, and computer programs.
Financial Engineering major
For the major in the Bachelor of Science, complete the following courses:
- COSC122 Introduction to Computer Science
- ECON104 Introduction to Microeconomics
- MATH102 Mathematics 1A
- MATH103 Mathematics 1B
- STAT101 Statistics 1
- COSC121 Introduction to Computer Programming OR COSC131 Introduction to Programming for Engineers
ACCT102 Accounting and Financial Information and INFO125 Introduction to Programming with Databases are also recommended.
- ECON213 Introduction to Econometrics
- FINC201 Business Finance
- MATH201 Multivariable Calculus
- SENG201 Software Engineering I
- STAT213 Statistical Interference
- FINC203 Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments OR ECON207 Intermediate Microeconomics – Households and Government
- STAT211 Random Processes OR STAT221 Introduction to Statistical Computing Using R
INFO213 Object-Oriented Systems Development is also recommended.
This major will lead to flexible career opportunities due to the technical skills you will learn during your studies, including problem-solving, programming, and communication. Financial Engineering can lead to careers in the global finance industry and other technical fields, such as information technologies (IT).
Some career pathways could include:
- Investment broker
- Business analyst
- Financial engineer
- Risk manager.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Financial Engineering.
Te Kura Pāngarau | School of Mathematics and Statistics
Phone +64 3 369 2233
Level 4, Jack Erskine building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūtaiao | Faculty of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Financial Engineering
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Finance looks into future planning for businesses, investors, and more. Finance shapes the health of every economy, and while at UC you will gain the knowledge ...
Accountants assess and report on the performance of organisations, and inform decisions about pricing, costs, systems and processes, investments, organisational ...