Mātai Pūtaiao Aronukurangi
Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the environment, examining its structure, functions, and interactions with humans and other ecological systems.
This scientific field is growing exponentially as we learn more about how the natural world is effected by our actions, and graduates with holistic and scientific knowledge of the environment are in demand to better our society, particularly in biosecurity, sustainability, natural disaster response, and global climate change.
- The Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours is the only degree of its kind in Aotearoa, and is accredited by the Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ) to deliver environmental practitioners for roles in industry, government, education and research, and the community.
- The Environmental Science major in the Bachelor of Science is combined with a second Science major of choice, preparing you to make a difference in your unique interests.
- The Environmental Science minor is available in a wide range of UC’s degrees, which will provide you with an awareness and understanding of sustainability and climate issues alongside your major specialisation in a huge variety of subjects.
- UC operates field stations at Cass (in the Waitaha Canterbury high country) and Kawatiri Westport that are particularly well equipped for Environmental Science teaching and research.
- UC is ranked in the top 300 universities in the world for Environmental Sciences (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2021).
Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours
See the Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours for the compulsory Environmental Science courses in the degree.
As well as core courses in ecological and geographic sciences, you also study towards one of the following majors:
Environmental Science major
For the major in the Bachelor of Science, complete the following courses:
- ENVR 101 Introduction to Environmental Science
- GEOG 106 Global Environmental Change
- MATH 102 Mathematics 1A OR STAT 101 Statistics 1
- ENVR 209 Environmental Science and Resource Management
- ENVR 210 Practical Environmental Science and Management
- BIOL 274 Principles of Ecology
- ENVR 301 Environmental Science: Cities and Coasts
- GEOG 309 Research for Resilient Environments and Communities
You will also need to complete a second major in another subject from the Bachelor of Science to complete the Environmental Science major requirements.
Environmental Science minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Health Sciences, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social and Environmental Sustainability, Bachelor of Sport Coaching, or Bachelor of Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
Environmental Science is a growth area for employment. Graduates with strong technical and communication skills are needed to help identify, monitor, and contribute to solving a variety of problems associated with the environment and with the use and allocation of resources.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Environmental Science.
Level 2, Beatrice Tinsley building – see campus maps
Te Rāngai Pūtaiao | College of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Environmental Science
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Biosecurity concerns the exclusion, eradication, and effective management of threats to the economy, environment, and human health that are posed by pests and ...