Environmental Policy, Governance and Social Justice
To make just and sustainable decisions for the environment and our wellbeing, we must learn to see how politics, social behaviour, and business economics can both cause and improve issues. Supply and demand for products and services can lead to problems such as pollution, slave labour and workers' rights, and indigenous land disputes.
At UC, you will examine global sustainability and social equity issues and learn how to respond with actionable change to communities and businesses.
- Hands-on experience connecting your study to real-world problems through field studies and an internship
- Build upon UC's sustainability goals and use our local and international connections with industry
- Courses include a range of areas like political science and law, philosophy and ethics, economics, social enterprise, sociology, and psychology
- Engage with ideas of mātauranga Māori (knowledge), Pacific history, decolonisation, and tino rangatiratanga (authority)
- Customisable major so you can follow your interests in particular issues
Environmental Policy, Governance and Social Justice major
For the major in the Bachelor of Social and Environmental Sustainability, complete the following courses:
- GEOG 110 People, Places and Environments OR POLS 103 Introduction to New Zealand Politics and Policy
- One course chosen from these options
Learning about sustainability from a policy and social justice point of view teaches you how to critically analyse systems and how to enact social change that is inclusive of other cultures, communities, and businesses.
Some career pathways could include:
- Policy and advisory
- Non-profit sector
- Marketing, communications, and events
- Business operations management
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Level 1, Elsie Locke Building – see campus maps
Te Rāngai Toi Tangata | College of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Environmental Policy, Governance and Social Justice
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the environment, examining its structure, functions, and interactions with humans and ...
Are you interested in making a difference to the world around you? Does the future of Aotearoa New Zealand’s democracy interest you? Do news about politics ...