The Environmental Health major provides grounding in the fundamental sciences that underpin an understanding of the environmental risk factors that affect health and wellbeing and the methods used to assess them. This encompasses:
- the geographical distribution of disease
- exposure to key risk factors and methods used to minimise exposure
- the context of government legislation aimed at creating and maintaining healthy environments.
UC offers a major in Environmental Health as part of the Bachelor of Health Sciences.
Environmental Health major
To complete a major in Environmental Health within the Bachelor of Health Sciences, you will need to take the following courses throughout the degree:
- BIOL 111 Cellular Biology and Biochemistry
- BCHM 112 Structure and Reactivity in Chemistry and Biochemistry
Plus another two 100-level courses from Health Sciences or other degrees.
- BCHM 281 Practical Biochemistry
- BIOL 213 Microbiology
- BIOL 231 Foundations in Molecular Biology
- BIOL 250 Principles of Animal Physiology
- GEOG 205 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems and Science
- BIOL 333 Molecular Genetics
- GEOG 323 Geospatial Analysis in the Social and Environmental Sciences
- GEOG 325 Health, Wellbeing and Environment
- BCHM 335 Biochemical and Environmental Toxicology or BIOL 313 Advanced Microbiology
Plus another course at 200-level (or above), and at 100-level (or above), from Health Sciences or other degrees.
Graduates of Environmental Health will potentially find employment as environmental health officers (requires additional qualification), laboratory roles in health laboratories, in local and national environmental health roles, or progress to postgraduate research in environmental health science.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Health Sciences.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora | College of Education, Health and Human Development
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Environmental Health
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Health is an enduring issue for society; it concerns everybody at every stage in life. Health Sciences at UC prepares students to contribute in a meaningful way ...