Early Childhood Teacher Education
A child’s early years have a significant impact on their lifelong development. As an early childhood teacher, you will provide experiences that lay the foundations for later learning with the help of whānau and the community.
- Gain skills supporting child development and growing their love for learning.
- Placements in early childhood settings to experience working with and teaching young children.
- Opportunities for international teaching and multicultural learning experiences, with placements at early childhood centres around the Pacific.
Early Childhood endorsement
For the endorsement in Ako: Bachelor of Teaching and Learning, complete the following courses:
- AKOT100 Navigating Study at Tertiary Level - Being a Successful Learner (0-point course)
- AKOT101 Ngā Tāngata o Aotearoa: Te Mana o Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- AKOT110 Te Reo Māori Tahi: Mā te Kaiako
- AKOE170 Ko wai au? Who am I?
- AKOE171 Whai Oranga: Pursuing Wellbeing of Children
- AKOE172 Infant and Toddler Pedagogies in Action
- AKOE173 Curriculum: Te Whāriki
- AKOE174 ECE as a Contested Profession: Looking Back, Moving Forward
- AKOA161 Mana Ako: Practice Exploration 1
- AKOT210 Te Reo Māori Rua: Mā te Kaiako
- AKOT230 Whānau Tangata: Possibilities, Opportunities and Tensions
- AKOT231 Saili Matagi - 'Seeking the winds of change in Pasifika education'
- AKOT232 Whanaungatanga: Relationally Connected
- AKOE270 Ngākau Urutanga Whānui: Diversity and Inclusion at the Heart
- AKOE272 Curriculum: Becoming an Intentional Teacher
- AKOA261 Mana Ako: Practice Exploration 2
- AKOA262 Mana Ako: Practice Exploration 3
- AKOT310 Te Reo Māori Toru: Mā te Kaiako
- AKOE371 ECE as a Contested Profession: Leadership and Criticality in ECE
- AKOE372 ECE as a Contested Profession: Ethics, Politics and Teaching
- AKOE373 Curriculum: Designing Holistic and Bicultural Learning Experiences
- AKOE374 Curriculum: Leading Design
- AKOA363 Mana Ako: Early Childhood Practice Exploration 4
- AKOA364 Mana Ako: Early Childhood Practice Exploration 5
- One course chosen from these options
The Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (Early Childhood) caters for those who hold a university degree, offering a one-year pathway into early childhood teaching.
How to apply
For details on entry requirements and the application process, see the Guide to Applying.
Working in early childhood offers you a challenging, interactive, and rewarding career caring for infants, toddlers, and young children in their important early stages.
From your placements throughout the degree, you will have teaching skills and experiences from a variety of education settings that could also apply to any area working with children and whānau.
Some career pathways could include:
- Early childhood teaching
- Childcare services
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Early Childhood Teaching.
For more details on entry requirements and the application process, see the Guide to Applying.
Te Kura Whakangungu Kaiako | School of Teacher Education
Phone +64 3 369 3333
Level 5, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Early Childhood Teacher Education
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Primary Teacher Education
Teaching and learning is founded on meaningful interactions. Primary Teaching allows you to encourage and discover children's lifelong potential and make a ...
Teaching is a varied and rewarding career for people who are energetic, creative, and committed to making a difference for children and young people. Develop ...