Data Science is an emerging field that combines Computer Science, Mathematics, and Statistics with other disciplines. It involves understanding and analysing data to visualise, communicate, and understand data to make the best possible decisions.
- Investigate the many sources and applications of data in healthcare, business, transport, economics, etc.
- Get hands-on in the field in connection with UC’s various research centres.
- Project work in your final year where you will be applying data science in the workplace.
Bachelor of Data Science
See the Bachelor of Data Science for the compulsory Data Science courses in the degree.
As well as the core courses, you will also study towards one of the following majors:
Data Science major
For the major in the Bachelor of Data Science, complete the following courses:
- COSC367 Artificial Intelligence
- DATA309 Data Science Capstone Project
- STAT315 Multivariate Statistical Methods
Plus any 60 points of courses chosen from the following:
With such a wide range of industry applications, Data Science has been identified as one of the most essential and employable skills of the 21st century.
Some career pathways could include:
- Data scientist
- Business and technology analyst
- Data visualisation consultant
- Insights consultant.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Data Science.
For study planning help, please contact Professor Peyman Zawar-Reza:
Te Kaupeka Pūtaiao | Faculty of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Data Science
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Spatial Data Science is an emerging field that combines art and science to explore spatial geographical data through visual and computational technologies to ...