Composition is the creation of new music. Enjoy learning from a diverse range of musical styles, from contemporary music to pop and everything in between.
You could compose pieces for orchestras, create film or video game soundtracks, write lyrics, arrange electronic soundscape compositions, or produce your next EDM hit.
- Study a broad range of courses with opportunities to engage with music technologies, notated composition, song writing, recording techniques, computer music, and collaborative projects.
- Create your own music in genres and musical cultures of your choice.
- Opportunity to take part in performances and collaborative projects.
Complete the compulsory courses for the Bachelor of Music, along with the following major courses:
- One course chosen from these options
- Two courses chosen from these options
Composition studies will give you significant hands-on experience writing music for instruments, voice, computers, and working with performers and improvisors.
Career pathways could include:
- Sound design
- Film composition
- Song writing
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Music.
Te Kura Puoro | School of Music
Phone +64 3 369 1792
Music building – see campus maps – and Arts Centre, 3 Hereford Street Christchurch
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Composition
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Music is an essential part of all cultures globally.A degree in Music Studies allows you to investigate music from social, political, and community ...
Music studies in Performance develops creative ideas and expressive skills through all styles of music. With rapid growth and cultural shifts in the music ...