Aotearoa has been put on the map with our internationally renowned expertise in visual effects and film technologies, filming locations, and the calibre of our writers and directors.
At UC, Cinematic Arts study focuses on the modern film production process, from script to screen, post-production to distribution. At the same time, you'll explore exciting new tools for storytelling, like virtual production, which is supported by the same technology that is used to produce video games.
- Learn to create cinematic projects — from writing scripts and filming to postproduction and distribution — using industry-standard filming technologies.
- Choose from practical hands-on courses in cinematography, picture editing, or sound design.
- Graduate with a portfolio of your own cinema projects produced each year, and work alongside industry experts.
- Practical study through UC's Digital Screen Campus, which features editing labs, sound recording studios, and a Virtual Screen Production theatre.
Cinematic Arts major
For the major in the Bachelor of Digital Screen with Honours, complete the following courses:
- DISC210 Film Project 1
- DISC211 Lights, Lens, and Mics
- DISC212 Screenwriting: Research and Story Development
- DISC213 Editing and Postproduction
- TITO202 Kiriata: Māori Film and Media
- DISC311 Preproduction and Production for Documentary
- CINE302 Documentary: From the Margins to the Mainstream
At 400-level your compulsory courses in the degree will focus on Cinematic Arts projects.
Cinematic Arts minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- 75 points of courses chosen from these options
Knowing the full creative and technical process of creating cinema, from concept to release, will make you a great asset to have on film sets, advertising agencies, streaming services, and other project collaborations, or even in launching your own works.
Some career pathways could include:
- Film and television directing and producing
- Videography and cinematography
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Digital Screen Campus
Browse related subjects to Cinematic Arts
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Sound is a core element for a range of media from film to video games and everything in between. Sound effects, voice, and music all work together to enhance ...