Biomedical Engineering involves designing and creating medical and healthcare technology.
This is a priority industry, as there is a growing need for engineering solutions that restore function and aid in diagnosis, monitoring, rehabilitation, and delivery of care.
- Study design, repair, maintenance, and implementation of new medical technologies.
- Practical courses using lab equipment, from human performance monitors to performance capture software.
- Internship and research project opportunities at hospitals and clinics both locally and overseas.
- Check out clubs like UC BIOMED to engage in biomedical design projects, field trips, and events.
Biomedical Engineering minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Engineering with Honours, complete the following courses:
- ENME351 Biomedical Engineering Design
- ENME401 Mechanical Systems Design
- ENME408 Honours Research and Development Project
- ENME418 Engineering Management and Professional Practice for Mechanical Engineers
- MDPH401 Anatomy and Physiology
- One course chosen from these options
Plus complete the requirements for Mechanical Engineering.
With your practical skills and experiences working on a variety of medical devices, you will be able to help with global health challenges, for example our increasingly aging population, healthcare in the developing world, and a rise in illnesses from sedentary lifestyles.
Career pathways could include:
- healthcare services
- product design and manufacturing of medical devices
- Quality Assurance (QA) testing and medical regulatory compliance
- medical equipment maintenance.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Level 5, Civil-Mechanical Engineering building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūhanga | Faculty of Engineering
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Biomedical Engineering
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Studying Industrial Product Design will teach you how to design and deliver suitable products that solve problems and generate consumer interest. Power tools, ...