Diploma in Science
A Diploma in Science (DipSc) is a great option to learn a variety of scientific skills in a single year.
This Diploma allows you to study interesting science courses, upskill in new areas, and gain professional development in your career.
- Study a wide range of Science subjects, from beginner's to advanced level.
- This Diploma can be studied full-time in 1 year, or part-time for up to 6 years.
- Can be used as a pathway to the Bachelor of Science with the ability to transfer your completed courses to that degree.
Diploma in Science – example degree structure
Each small block represents a 15-point course. However, some courses may be 30 points or more.
This diagram is an example only – other combinations are possible. For specific course requirements, see the Regulations for the Diploma in Science.
The DipSc is made up of 120 points, including a compulsory course and subject options from the Bachelor of Science.
It can be completed within 1 year full-time, or up to 6 years part-time.
You can choose to transfer the credits you gain during the Diploma in Science to the Bachelor of Science (and some other degrees), as long as you have not already graduated with the Diploma.
Complete the following course:
Plus choose up to 105 points of courses from the following subjects:
- Gain new knowledge or stay up-to-date by developing your scientific theory or practical skills, from the lab to the field.
- Placements, projects, and internship opportunities that improve your work readiness.
- Graduates may find work in many different fields, from programming to agriculture, or even research positions.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
For the full degree requirements, see the Regulations for the Diploma in Science.
For study planning help, contact a Student Advisor.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Pūtaiao | Faculty of Science.