Certificate in Māori Language and Pedagogies: Aumiri Pounamu
The Certificate in Māori and Language Pedagogies: Aumiri Pounamu (CertMLP) gives our future and practising kaiako teachers the opportunity to develop their knowledge and confidence introducing our tamariki to the history, culture, and language of our indigenous communities.
This is valuable professional development for teachers who want to be mentors or leaders in Māori education within their centres, schools, or learning spaces, and beyond.
The CertMLP is open to those who are provisionally certified as teachers, those that hold a subject to confirmation practising certificate, and full practising teachers.
You will need to have completed an Aotearoa New Zealand teacher education degree (or other qualifications of an equivalent standard) to enrol in this programme.
There will also be a hui with the Programme Coordinator as part of your application to assess your current level of te reo competency and ascertain the support you will need during study.
For information on the enrolment process, please see Te Kura Whakangungu Kaiako Aumiri Pounamu | School of Teacher Education website.
The CertMLP is a total of 60 points, made up by a 15-point compulsory course in introductory te reo proficiency, and a minimum of 45 points in elective courses. These courses are delivered in collaboration with Mātauraka Mahaanui.
Study begins in January, and is completed part-time within 2 years to accommodate working kaiako teachers, including noho marae experiences, day wānanga, and night classes.
You may also apply to transfer your completed courses to the Graduate Diploma in Māori and Language Pedagogies: Aumiri Pounamu.
For more information on the programme structure, please see Te Kura Whakangungu Kaiako Aumiri | Pounamu School of Teacher Education website.
This Certificate is particularly suited as preparation for the Master of Education endorsed in Hōaka Pounamu: Te Reo Māori Bilingual and Immersion Teaching.
UC offers a number of postgraduate degrees for practising teachers to research and critique contemporary education practices, theories, and policies.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Arts in Education
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Arts in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Arts (Thesis) in Education
- Master of Education
- Master of Education (Thesis)
- Master of Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Education
You may also consider further developing your te reo competency or Māori knowledge:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Arts in Te Reo Māori or Māori and Indigenous Studies
- Postgraduate Certificate in Māori and Indigenous Leadership
- Postgraduate Certificate in Te Reo Māori
- Postgraduate Diploma in Arts in Te Reo Māori or Māori and Indigenous Studies
- Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori
- Master of Arts in Te Reo Māori or Māori and Indigenous Studies
- Master of Arts (Thesis) in Te Reo Māori or Māori and Indigenous Studies
- Master of Māori and Indigenous Leadership
- Master of Te Reo Māori
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Te Reo Maori or Māori and Indigenous Studies
Our programme aims to prepare current or future kaiako teachers to strengthen the connections of our tamariki to the bicultural history and nature of Aotearoa New Zealand, and support our government initiatives to integrate tikanga and te reo Māori in schools.
The Certificate also guides graduates towards leadership and advocacy roles in education, policy, and community within Aotearoa and globally where indigenous cultural engagement is strongly needed.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2021||60||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$3,141|
|2022||60||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$3,194|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2021||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$14,000||$12,174|
|2022||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$14,400||$12,522|
See more information about our Aumiri Pounamu programmes.
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Certificate in Māori Language and Pedagogies: Aumiri Pounamu.
For study planning help, contact our Student Advisor team.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education.