Postgraduate Certificate in Education
The Postgraduate Certificate in Education is designed to give teachers, counsellors, and other educational professionals the opportunity to improve their professional practice and examine critically significant issues in education.
Please note this qualification is not a pathway to teacher registration. If you wish to study to become a registered teacher, check out our Initial Teacher Education qualifications.
To enrol for the PGCertEd you will need one of the following:
- any appropriate degree in Aotearoa New Zealand with two 300-level courses in Education; or
- any appropriate degree in Aotearoa New Zealand, and have either completed a minimum one-year teacher training course or have experience as a teacher, educator, or counsellor; or
- other qualifications of an equivalent standard.
The relevance and standard of undergraduate studies and any subsequent professional work experience are the main criteria of approval.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC’s English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The course of study for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education comprises 60 points from courses listed in Schedule V to the Master of Education.
The Certificate takes between 6–12 months of full-time study to complete, or up to 2 years part-time, depending on course selection.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2023||60||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$3,981|
|2022||60||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$3,874|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2022||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$16,500||$14,348|
|2023||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$17,000||$14,783|
See more information about our Education programmes.
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education.
For study planning help, contact our Student Advisor team.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education.